TCCoA Forums banner
201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Well they insisted that I leave the car with them all day to get what I wanted. I requested the same specs I was at before, add a heavier split on the caster and re-center the wheel. What I got was a half hearted attempt from 3 mechanics that didn't care and did it in 20 minutes. The wheel is still off. The caster changed slightly higher of a split but not what I requested and after the caster was adjusted they didn't bother to re-correct the passenger side camber. The service clerk said I'm asking for the impossible. I told him no I'm not, I'm asking for you to do the job I paid for the way that I know you can. His response was very pushy and combative. He'd rather refund my money and have me be someone else's problem instead of doing the right job. He's also apparently an alignment expert so he didn't want to hear my recommendations or relay my requests to the technician doing the work. Luckily I was able to talk with the technician who did it right the last time and he wants me to be present again and get it where I want but I'll have to go back yet again. It's always something with my cars. Maybe I'm too picky but I want what I want and when I pay for it I should be able to get what I paid for. The saga continues unfortunately.

• Angry
Reactions: Rodeo Joe

·
Super Moderator
8,339 Posts
I don’t know what it is with wheel alignments in particular, but no matter where you are, it seems almost impossible to find any shops that are willing to do a wheel alignment and actually adjust everything properly. It really shouldn’t be that hard!

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
I don’t know what it is with wheel alignments in particular, but no matter where you are, it seems almost impossible to find any shops that are willing to do a wheel alignment and actually adjust everything properly. It really shouldn’t be that hard!
There are definitely shops out here that will do it right but most of the chains are flat rate and just don't care. They would rather do it their way. The shops that specialize in it do amazing work but are practically a full city over and require a 3 week wait. If I still worked in a light duty shop with an alignment rack I'd do it myself. However I don't... I work in a class 8 semi-truck shop. The rack won't even accommodate a regular size vehicle, let alone the equipment won't adjust small enough for a tbird wheel. Definitely frustrating.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,490 Posts
I got lucky, the suburban tire that’s walking distance from my house actually does decent alignments and trust my word with regards to alignment points and settings, or at least they did since the last time I took it there. The place that I took it to early on prompted me to do garage floor alignments with bubble levels and measuring tape for awhile, that place was one of those that didn’t believe the IRS was adjustable

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,652 Posts
Well they insisted that I leave the car with them all day to get what I wanted. I requested the same specs I was at before, add a heavier split on the caster and re-center the wheel. What I got was a half hearted attempt from 3 mechanics that didn't care and did it in 20 minutes. The wheel is still off. The caster changed slightly higher of a split but not what I requested and after the caster was adjusted they didn't bother to re-correct the passenger side camber. The service clerk said I'm asking for the impossible. I told him no I'm not, I'm asking for you to do the job I paid for the way that I know you can. His response was very pushy and combative. He'd rather refund my money and have me be someone else's problem instead of doing the right job. He's also apparently an alignment expert so he didn't want to hear my recommendations or relay my requests to the technician doing the work. Luckily I was able to talk with the technician who did it right the last time and he wants me to be present again and get it where I want but I'll have to go back yet again. It's always something with my cars. Maybe I'm too picky but I want what I want and when I pay for it I should be able to get what I paid for. The saga continues unfortunately.
Well Chris I know you are particular about your cars. It certainly harder when you know real information about how the work gets done. Very few people give a S*&t in those big corporate shops.

Reactions: 97 30th

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
I finally got the alignment dialed in spot on to my likings. Now to focus on the other modifications that have been on that back burner.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
This is my experience. Every car I have ever had an alignment done on has required at least two trips to the shop. Either it's pulling slightly, or the steering wheel is off center when I pick it up.

It's understandable when you add in how uncommon our cars are; most techs have probably never worked on them. But seriously how much lack of care in their job does it take to have the steering wheel pointed the wrong way, and the car not tracking straight? Had that exact thing happen to my wife's Lexus and it's on a Camry chassis FFS.

·
SuperNewbie
3,652 Posts
A Couple years ago I took my sons Tbird in for alignment. The shop is very small so I was standing there. Then he showed me the alignment machine and the screen. The screen shows the alignment points and the changes needed in red and green. He shows me the settings and tells me " I don't know why it shows settings on the rear, this isn't adjustable" And I had to show him that it was. I got under the car with him and pointed out where the adjustments are. He said, "learn something new everyday.".

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Some time later these finally arrived. I picked a bit of a unique color choice.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
I also found this gem for sale today, mine has been making some racket.

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
That looks like the Mustang connector; the cobra fan I bought required a pigtail to work.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
That looks like the Mustang connector; the cobra fan I bought required a pigtail to work.
That's the SC fan connector. I'm used to the flat connector too but I checked my 93 and it has the round style.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
My fan motor came in safe and sound, now I'm just waiting on a radiator.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
My radiator arrived damaged so it's on its way back to Griffen. Now I'm waiting for a replacement.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Upper radiator hose let go on the way home from work last week so it's parked now until all of the parts come in. Hopefully it's not hurt. According to the mr gasket thermocap on the radiator it was at 200 degrees when I parked it. I'll be replacing the belts, Tensioner pulleys and other hoses as well. I may leave it parked until the radiator arrives and do everything all at once. I'm also considering switching coolant type due to my current occupation.

·
SuperNewbie
3,652 Posts
Upper radiator hose let go on the way home from work last week so it's parked now until all of the parts come in. Hopefully it's not hurt. According to the mr gasket thermocap on the radiator it was at 200 degrees when I parked it. I'll be replacing the belts, Tensioner pulleys and other hoses as well. I may leave it parked until the radiator arrives and do everything all at once. I'm also considering switching coolant type due to my current occupation.
What coolant type would you change to?

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
I too am curious; why would occupation matter for your car? Unless you're running straight methanol or something. :)

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
What coolant type would you change to?
Considering switching to TRP ELC Red which is KW's house brand of Caterpillar EC-1. I have lots of it on hand at work and it seems to do fine for literally a million miles or 8 years without any conditioners or maintenance. Seems to be compatible with pretty much everything as well. Considering it as a total replacement for the conventional green which really is recommended for replacement annually or 15k-36k depending on application. Really no other benefits to be had except for cost and convenience. Just something I've been considering. Same reason I switched my 2001 F250 over to Zerex G-05, less maintenance and at the time it cost me $0 per gallon. Of course I've considered switching the SC to that as well since it was Ford's progression in coolant technology. It could be done later down the road of course since I already bought a couple of gallons of Napa Green. As always I over think and over engineer problems. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
8,339 Posts
I don't know anything about that EC1 stuff, but if it is free, and it keeps the engine cool, and won't react badly with any leftover green stuff, then go for it. Personally, all my stuff just gets filled with the all makes/all models generic stuff.

201 - 220 of 228 Posts