TCCoA Forums banner
221 - 228 of 228 Posts

·
Administrator
14,491 Posts
It's one of the reasons I sought out a 89-93. I really like how these look inside and out. I feel like they aged well when they were maintained.

I love the period correct wheels. The color matched retro feel really fits the car. I'll need better tires though. That does look like the same wheels. Previous owner said they may be Borbet, American Racing, or Eagles... all of which would be long discontinued. Hard to tell without removing them. They are 16x7 that's stamped into the lip. There may be more behind the center cap covers, but the center logo was painted over at some point with black.

I would ditch my Taurus cup holder coin holder for that Alpine stack if it was modernized with Bluetooth and pandora.

Speaking of expensive Alpine birds....
View attachment 43572

Right now I'm using a Sony mex-dv2200 head unit that was provided with the car circa 2008. It doesn't do Bluetooth so I bought an aux dongle to make longer drives tolerable.

I just got done changing the oil with mobil extended performance synthetic and a wix xp filter, I serviced the powersteering fluid with Mercon V, changed the coolant, and fixed the drivers side window dowel/pegs/gear plugs.

During the window repair I found the speakers that the previous owner installed. They've seen some better days I think. I'm sure they were great once but I believe their time has faded.
View attachment 43573

Now to get the motor mounts replaced and transmission output shaft seal replaced.
How did they pack all those speakers into that car?

Reactions: supergordo

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
How did they pack all those speakers into that car?
I'm sure they did just fine. I know it was a show car but from what I read it was all fully functional. There's lots of room for audio activities in these cars.

Also I'm STILL waiting for my new radiator. Luckily i still have the duramax to drive to work or the 1996 DOHC car.

·
Administrator
14,491 Posts
It's one of the reasons I sought out a 89-93. I really like how these look inside and out. I feel like they aged well when they were maintained.

I love the period correct wheels. The color matched retro feel really fits the car. I'll need better tires though. That does look like the same wheels. Previous owner said they may be Borbet, American Racing, or Eagles... all of which would be long discontinued. Hard to tell without removing them. They are 16x7 that's stamped into the lip. There may be more behind the center cap covers, but the center logo was painted over at some point with black.

I would ditch my Taurus cup holder coin holder for that Alpine stack if it was modernized with Bluetooth and pandora.

Speaking of expensive Alpine birds....
View attachment 43572

Right now I'm using a Sony mex-dv2200 head unit that was provided with the car circa 2008. It doesn't do Bluetooth so I bought an aux dongle to make longer drives tolerable.

I just got done changing the oil with mobil extended performance synthetic and a wix xp filter, I serviced the powersteering fluid with Mercon V, changed the coolant, and fixed the drivers side window dowel/pegs/gear plugs.

During the window repair I found the speakers that the previous owner installed. They've seen some better days I think. I'm sure they were great once but I believe their time has faded.
View attachment 43573

Now to get the motor mounts replaced and transmission output shaft seal replaced.
I'm sure they did just fine. I know it was a show car but from what I read it was all fully functional. There's lots of room for audio activities in these cars.

Also I'm STILL waiting for my new radiator. Luckily i still have the duramax to drive to work or the 1996 DOHC car.
After digging around I found some more pix of and the original article on that Alpine bird stereo system. What a build! $25,000 worth of work in 1991 dollars and ~800 hours of labor!

What are your plans for the stereo system Chris?

On the Radiator: Sorry you're STILL waiting! What a PITA. Never been a fan of Griffin. I met the Cold Case Dealer Locator guys on the Hot Rot Power Tour Circa 2018 and they were very helpful. Even though the model they provided to me didn't fit they took return shipping on it no questions asked. I think I had to pay a nominal return shipping fee but no silly restocking fee.

They referred me to Fluidyne who were also super helpful and supportive. See this thread for details: FLUIDYNE High Performance Radiators - Group Buy Pricing...

I'd recommend talking to Cold Case or Fluidyne. There are other choices out there! I worked with Ryan at Fluidyne but that was in 2018 he may or may not still be there.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 · (Edited)
I replaced the headunit with Kenwood KMM-X704 headunit and all four of the speakers were replaced with infinity kappa 86cfx's. The factory amp is long gone but I may add a monoblock amp and subwoofer eventually. I've also been looking at some alternative powered subwoofer systems but I think if I do add a subwoofer I'll probably just go with 1 10". For now it sounds miles better than what remained of the factory jbl speakers and old tired pioneers.

As for the radiator, it was a long delay for the original to be fabricated and if it hadn't been damaged by ups I'd be done by now, but now I'm back to waiting weeks and weeks for a new one to be made and shipped. The Griffen Radiator is a very nice hand crafted direct fit unit, with upgraded capacity which is why I went the route that I did. The radiator (besides the damage, was incredibly well built, beautiful welds, great design). My gripe isn't with Griffen directly or the person who sold it, it's just dealing with the delay due to UPS damaging it in transport and waiting, and waiting. Honestly UPS has made this more of a hassle than it ever needed to be. It also wasn't exactly cheap... you know?

·
Administrator
14,491 Posts
I like the infinity speakers they make a good product. My home theater is packed with infinity speakers that I bought while in the service back in the day.

Gotcha. Yeah these shipping companies aren't exactly stellar in their handling of packages. They must've really trashed it. Radiators aren't exactly fragile. It takes some serious mishandling to damage one that's properly packaged.

Reactions: supergordo

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,652 Posts
We put infinity speakers in my younger sons 97 Tbird with an Alpine deck. Sounds pretty good really. We are adding a JBL 10" powered subwoofer soon.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Gotcha. Yeah these shipping companies aren't exactly stellar in their handling of packages. They must've really trashed it. Radiators aren't exactly fragile. It takes some serious mishandling to damage one that's properly packaged.
Having worked for UPS in my early 20s, I will say that packages tend to get damaged the most during peak season (the holidays). However, because of COVID, all the shipping companies are now working as kf it's peak season.

That being said, the most likely reason for a package to be damaged isn't due to mishandling of the package, but rather the package being pinched down by slides, shoots, rollers, or any other equipment in the shopper's warehouse. Lastly, if you're ever shipping out anything fragile, DO NOT write the word "fragile" anywhere on the box. That's guaranteed for the package to get extra "love" on it's way to it's destination.

If you can, in lieu of writing "fragile" on the box, it's most ideal to just leave it be a plain box with only the package destination. Furthermore, it would be most ideal for the contents be properly secured with packaging material. After that, you want to place that box inside a larger box that has material on all edges of the box to provide additional item safety.

Reactions: GreenT
221 - 228 of 228 Posts