TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im brett im new to TCCoA i have owned my 96 t-bird for about 2 years now and i finally saw this website so now im getting on here to say hi to every one and maybe talk cars with some few people hoping to find a t-bird club in arkansas!

·
Super Moderator
12,246 Posts
Welcome. The president of TCCoA lives just 4hrs north of you in Mountain Home, AR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
would enjoy getting to talk to him im having some troubles with my tbird and would love to get a good t-bird guru to help me with it, if not at least diagnous whats wrong with it, im a decent car guy but most of my knowledge is on mg's and triumphs so i would enjoy some help and insite on it, my problems first of all is i guess i have bad ball joints on the front, car is out of alliegnment and steering wheel shakes like crazy over 55 and the darn thing squeeks so bad when you turn, hit a bump, get in and out, lean on it, and im just not good enough to fix that. second problem is that my voltage meter fluxuate so badly itl go up to about 15 and fall down to 8 while driving and when i first put it in to gear it will try and die bc the voltage meter drops down and makes it die out. and the final problem is that at idle my car will heat up quickly its got plenty of antifreeze and it will always heat up fast but hasn't got off normal yet, but once you drive it will fall back to where it usually sits, no big problems just small ones but what can you expect with a 13 year old car that just turned 100,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
12,246 Posts
would enjoy getting to talk to him im having some troubles with my tbird and would love to get a good t-bird guru to help me with it, if not at least diagnous whats wrong with it, im a decent car guy but most of my knowledge is on mg's and triumphs so i would enjoy some help and insite on it, my problems first of all is i guess i have bad ball joints on the front, car is out of alliegnment and steering wheel shakes like crazy over 55 and the darn thing squeeks so bad when you turn, hit a bump, get in and out, lean on it, and im just not good enough to fix that. second problem is that my voltage meter fluxuate so badly itl go up to about 15 and fall down to 8 while driving and when i first put it in to gear it will try and die bc the voltage meter drops down and makes it die out. and the final problem is that at idle my car will heat up quickly its got plenty of antifreeze and it will always heat up fast but hasn't got off normal yet, but once you drive it will fall back to where it usually sits, no big problems just small ones but what can you expect with a 13 year old car that just turned 100,000 miles
im having some troubles with my tbird and need the help from a good t-bird guru,to help me with it, if not at least diagnous whats wrong with it, im a decent car guy but most of my knowledge is on mg's and triumphs so i would enjoy some help and insite on it, my problems first of all is i guess i have bad ball joints on the front, car is out of alliegnment and steering wheel shakes like crazy over 55 and the darn thing squeeks so bad when you turn, hit a bump, get in and out, lean on it, and im just not good enough to fix that.(does that even sound like ball joints) second problem is that my voltage meter fluxuate so badly itl go up to about 15 and fall down to 8 while driving and when i first put it in to gear it will try and die bc the voltage meter drops down and makes it die out. and the final problem is that at idle my car will heat up quickly its got plenty of antifreeze and it will always heat up fast but hasn't got off normal yet, but once you drive it will fall back to where it usually sits, no big problems just small ones but what can you expect with a 13 year old car that just turned 100,000 miles
Double Posting is a no no, especially when you start a new thread to do it.

Replacing everything on this list ought to do the trick. Your car is long overdue for a suspension rebuild. This will take care of the squeaks, and vibration. If any of these things have been replaced recently then you can take that item off of the list.

Go with Moog, TRW or OEM Ford on all of these components. A complete suspension rebuild will run around $2,000 including bushings, upper and lower control arms, shocks and labor. Get the alignment done last.

Yes, that's a lot but as you stated these cars are now 13 years old and if prevenative maintenance hasn't been done on the suspension then these things need to be replaced.

As far as the electrical issues goes, have you had the alternator tested? When was the last time the plugs and/or plug wires replaced? How about the battery...? Start with the basics.

Get a 180° Thermostat, and flush/change the coolant. So what if it heats up quickly as long as it doesn't over heat you're fine. It's normal for the temp indicator to rise and fall as the thermostat cycles. What you're describing is nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i apologize i thought i had posted it here first but once i hit post i didnt see it and then i posted it in its own thread and appearently that was the wrong choice i really am thankfull for the advise that you had sugested the only main thing is what would make my car over charge if the alt was going bad wouldnt it just undercharge

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
If the internal regulator is going bad in your alternator, it could do all kinds of crazy things. Best to pull it and get it checked out.

And welcome to the TCCoA!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If you want to drive up to Craighead County I'll be willing to help ya on the labor part of the suspension.
Rebuilt the Front suspension of my wife's 93 about 3years ago it anit that bad. I'd say its only a few hundred for the Front and $50 for the alignment, so unless the rear and labor are outrageous I don't see $2000.

WOW we are back up to 3 people in AR.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
You'll need a 4 wheel alignment which will be closer to $100 at most places with really good equipment, but none of the work is too difficult with some decent tools and a warm place to work in. :D

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Right now dry is more important that warm. I now have a 1ac pond at my house :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah dry is the key but i dont have the time to do the work my self wife just wrecked her car. lol but im working on it its not unbearable yet i still drive 30 miles one way a day, and im glad arks got 3 t bird supports!!!! hopefully we can have more i know i have a frined coming from texas and he has a tbird!! so we will have 4! but when i have the time craig head county is just a hop and a skip up the road when you drive a tbird! so it wont be no big deal just cant leave her 100 miles away with no ride lol, to nice i guess, but i enjoy all the help yall have given me, are there every and tbird play days, car shows, races, swap meets? in or around arkansas thats what im really lookn to get into!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
To my knowledge no, but Sir William has lived here much longer than I, so he might know something I don't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome OrionTheTall!

I recently had the front upper ball joints and control arms replaced on my bird. The parts were about $150.00 and my boyfriend did the labor in roughly 2 hours. The front end alignment was $35.00 and I watched and asked questions the whole time. The service guy really knew his stuff. I wish you could have yours done as cheaply as I did. It made a world of difference in the ride of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i have to rebuild my little kia, and then i get to work full force on my tbird, dont really know what im doing but im sure i can figure it out as i go along, idk much about these cars, but does any one know what other motors these auto trannys bolt up too? or if there would be a tranny that would fit my 400 sb that might fit under the car?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Welcome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts