TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't know for sure, but if you figure that plenty of MN-12's were optioned with 5.0's which is a 302, which also has the similar external dimensions as your 351w, it should be pretty straight forward. Also, the 3.8 is nothing but a 5.0 with smaller bores, longer stroke and the front two cylinders chopped off. From everything I've read, you can drop a 5.0 directly in place of the 3.8 thanks to the same mount pattern and bellhousing bolt pattern. The 351w has a taller overall deck height, but it should still drop right in using the 3.8 mounts. I'd definitely replace the old fluid mounts with solid rubber ones while you had the engine out, being that your going to add quite a bit more torque and the stock 3.8's easily rip the fluid mounts when racing.

A few regulars in here have done this swap. They will be able to verify this for sure. Try posing in the 5.0 forum if they don't see you here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 3.8 mounts are a little different then the 5.0 mounts, and toughs basterds are $110 a peice. You are right though I don't want the fluids in there braking.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's one thing I was wondering about. I was thinking about doing a swap from my 3.8 to the 351 windsor. Would I be able to do this swap..If I can, I'm going to get a 351w and build it up while I'm still cruisin with my 3.8..I just wanna make sure it's possible and get a list of everything I would need for the swap..Any help with this would be awesome..Thanks

Wes
'93lx 3.8n/a Bird

just a stupid off note...I raced a mustang 5.0 last night...I got him off the line and kept up with him to 85 mph...I think he started getting mad at me and swerved over and tried toi hit me...I slowed down a little and caught back up and ended up winning...my first race with a first victory..I feel good about my car, and it still has no mods to it...yet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I stand corrected on the 3.8 mounts....

You should just be able to get a set of 5.0 mounts from a junkyard to fit the 351w, right?

This is something I've always been interested in too, being an old Ford small block guy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its hard to find the mounts for a mn-12 5.0 that wont cost $110.00 so I am going to try and fit in the old style v-8 mounts (83-88). may have to fab up the k-member.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts