TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my tranny rebuilt this fall. A local shop removed the tranny and re-installed it along with the better T/C. I had 4 litres of Mercon V which I gave them and told them to get more and fill my tranny with Mercon V. Well I just discovered that they filled it with Synthetic ATF. The new T/C doesn't have a drain plug (what's up with that?).
I've noticed that there is a flare when shifting into O/D, is this because of the fluid?

1. Will the Synthetic ATF be ok? It's Esso brand (same as Exxon I think).
2. How in the heII are you supposed to flush the tranny fluid without draining the T/C?:mad:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The flare can probably be resolved with the J-mod, as long as the OD band isn't worn out. On a TC w/o a drain plug, youll have to remove one of the cooler lines (upper i think) and attach a hose to it. Put the hose in a bucket and then turn the engine on - when the fluid flow slows shut it off ASAP. This is best done with a helper. Then drop the pan. When done, refill with Mercon V. I doubt the synthetic did any harm, Mercon V is semi synthetic to begin with.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the j-mod. The rebuilder used new high performance bands and clutches.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Since your application is a bit different than most of us, your J-mod would also be a little different. Has the Slot#1 been opened up to .100" like on this page?

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page13.shtml

Your scenario is the opposite of the one talked about, but it's resolved in a similar way. The forward clutch is releasing before the OD band is applying. I assume this trans already has the upgraded 2.7" OD servo? Are you using the stock material band, or the Kevlar race car stuff?
If you're using stock material, have the slot drilled, and the upgraded servo, I'd check with Fordchip/(now SCT) and see if there's anything they can do with the EEC program to help solve the problem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparantly it's some nylon material. Made by Blue Streak? The slot is drilled to .125"

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
In that case, I'd check with Fordchip/SCT and see what Jerry recommends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts