TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is R.J. I'm currently in Bremerton, WA, and just purchased a 1995 Cougar XR7 with the 4.6L V8. It only has 58,000 miles on it. Looking forward to learning about proper maintenance and mods on her. Plan on keeping her for a long while. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
The first thing I'd recommend is a thorough checkup; see if the vacuum lines are new; if not, you'll want to replace those first.

Check the ball joints in the front, and visually inspect all the brake lines.

Do an oil change, and a coolant change, and look at the inside of the coolant reservoir cap for brown sludge.

There are a few known problems, but once you replace the worn rubber, you're unlikely to have a lot of problems until the 120k mile region.

Read thru the recent posts; there are some links to some of the standard issues with your car.

They're 25 years old, mileage or no, rubber ages. :)

Welcome!!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Welcome! Post up some pics.

Al

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Looks good for un upside-down car. Must have come from Australia.

Al

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Looks very clean! I almost bought one that looked just like it but I ended up getting my white 96.

This forum has about everything you need to know about these cars. It's part of the reason I ended up getting one. Always thought they were interesting cars. Then when I was reading more and more about them here; I decided I really wanted to get one. Went looking specifically at Cougars because they have a unique look to them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
From what I can see I wish I had your paint, and lack of 120k wear/sun. I got mine at 97k and started with big things like brakes and shocks. Lots of little things come up as you go along buying oil, tires, and fuel.
Finding and old car that was stored well at a good price is like finding a unicorn for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm very surprised at how good this car looks & drives for being 24 years old. CarFax states it had all fluids changed regularly every 2-4 years, including engine oil. The owner only put those miles on it until around 2016, then, a void until it went to the dealership. Last oil change is listed in mid-2016, so, I had that done yesterday. The first of many things this Summer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts