TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy some new wheels for my 1997 Thunderbird LX Sport. I currently have a set of wheels from a 1999 Taurus SHO on the car, and they are in poor condition (corroded badly from road salt). Plus, I am not real happy with they way they look on the car because their offset differs from what my original wheels were; the rear wheels don't look right because they don't stick out far enough into the wheel openings like the OE wheels did (the fronts, for some reason, appear just about the same as the stock wheels that were on there before). I am not real crazy about the style of the OE wheels that were on the car when I bought it, either - that's kind of the reason I changed the wheels. Anyway, I'm thinking about buying 1 of 2 different styles of wheels I like that are sold by the Tire Rack. One style has offset of 40mm and backspacing of 5.59"; the other wheel has offset of 42mm and backspacing of 5.90". Which wheel will stick out farther, or are they about the same? I'm not sure I really understand the relationship between offset & backspacing, and I want to get some wheels that will stick out farther, like the stock wheels that came with the Thunderbird Sports!

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Are they the same width? They probably are not the same width since the offset is only 2mm different but the backspacing is 8 mm difference. We could probably guess at the widths then do the math to find out which one has more "front space".

Offset is basically just how far away from the center line of the wheel the mounting face is, you have to know the width to get the backspacing/front spacing.

Take the width, subtract the backspacing to find the "front spacing" and whichever one has a larger "front spacing" that one would be close to the fender (or sticking out).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, here is all the info:

Wheel #1:
Size: 16" x 7"
Offset: 40mm
Backspacing: 5.59"

Wheel #2"
Size: 16" x 7.5"
Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 5.90"

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Wheel #1: 8 - 5.59 = 2.41 front spacing
Wheel #2: 8.5 - 5.9 = 2.6 front spacing

so Wheel #2 would be closer to the fender edge than wheel #1, by less than a quarter of an inch.

Wheel #1 is close to stock, which is 7 inches wide and 39mm offset, so Wheel #2 should be slightly closer to the fender lip than stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts