TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I just picked up a great deal: 4 good used wheels, 17 X 7.5, with almost new tires 235/55/17.

Problem is, the backspacing is off by just a small amount. When I tighten the lug nuts, the wheel won't turn. As soon as I crack the lugs loose, I can turn the wheel. So, the rim is just barely touching the upper spindle mount, and the tire is barely touching the bottom of the upper ball joint 'stub' end. I can see removing a piece of the ball joint stub won't affect anything, but how about the spindle mount? Would it be unsafe to grind some of the material away where the rim contacts?
OR: Should I just buy a 3/16 inch wheel spacer kit? I have to order it because no one stocks these in my town except the 4.5-5 inch spacing; no 4.25 inch spacing, even the universal ones are not here.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I had to get 5mm (3/16) spacers off eBay for mine as well, get the spacers. I only found ONE locally at a tire shop, used, but that was enough for me to try it out and verify it did what I wanted to and I still had enough threads for the lug nuts.

I really only needed like 2 or 3 mm but 5 was the smallest I could find, it out the wheels out where I didn't want them, but they are 9 inches wide, so that won't be an issue for you!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I bought a pair off Ebay that were 5mm, which is 3/16".
The tires are actually Michelin Ice X winter tires, but the seller said he used them one summer and they were great. I won't have to worry about snow or ice in Florida, but the price was right. The same tires new go for $151 each, and I can get the wheels new for $180 each, but I got the whole set with rims and tires, mounted and balanced for $300 for everything. I drove 6 hours round trip to get them, but I still think I came out ahead. What do you think? The rims are factory Jaguar S-type.
I will post pictures when the spacers arrive and I have them mounted on the car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out those spacers weren't quite enough, so I got some 5/16 inch spacers, and they were just right for clearance. I finally have the wheels on! I will post later on with some pictures for anyone interested. Please don't mind the fact that the bumpers are faded (original paint), but they will get painted soon.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I'll need pics. I can't see how the rim is rubbing anything in the area your talking about when the tire is rubbing the stub on the ball joint.

I'm using 17x7.5 with 255/50/17's and the tires were rubbing that stub. I just ground it down so it'd clear and haven't had any problems with it. The shop that mounted them actually preferred that "cure" to using spacers. LOL they still made me sign a release of liability though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It all boils down to offset. Sounds to me like you have less offset than I do with my wheels. With you running 255 tires on a 7.5 inch wheel, you have 1- 1/4 inches of rubber sticking past the rim on each side (past the bead, anyway). That is 10 inches of tire width minus 7.5 inches divided by two. My tires are 235's, or 9.25 inches wide, meaning I have 7/8 of an inch of rubber past the bead on each side. Without spacers, my wheels actually contact in two places; The tire rubs on the upper ball joint stub, and the wheel contacts the vertical part of the control arm at the top.
So, while you may have clearance for your wheel, you only have an issue with your tire at that stub, while my wheel with greater positive offset puts the back of the wheel against the spindle AND the tire hits the stub. Now I have clearance for the wheel, but a hrd turn in reverse just revealed to me some scrubbing again, I am thinking it is the tire on the stub, so may be time to do some grinding on that...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have some rubbing going on. Now it seems to happen while going straight, and turning the wheel slightly to the left at lower speeds (15-30 mph) but not below those speeds.
Any comments?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts