TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on my new wheels. They're 18" Charcoal cobra R replicas from The Custom Wheels shop. Thanks Cudaz101!

·
Super Moderator
12,417 Posts
Those look great on your car! Which tires did you decide to go with? Lower that bad boy and be done with it.

very sharp, now just take car care of that rotor rust and paint them calipers
:zwthstpd:
They should look like this when you're done.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know.

Man, I know. The rotor rust/ non painted calipers. It was never an issue when I couldn't see them. lol. I'll probably paint my calipers, and clean up the rotors pretty soon. I want to put the 13" rotors and cobra calipers on, but I have to get the transmission done next. Rebuild/J-mod. I'm hoping to get it done at the same time, but for some reason the people who own shops around here are keep it stock nazi's. Oh well. The tires are Fierce HP's 245/45/18.

I did clear corners today as well.

And yes I know, I need to clean the head light assembly too. haha.

Also, for those of you who may be curious, my dad and brother are putting power steering in the Bronco in the background.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys. I have to say I'm amazed how much better it looks over my sport wheels. I thought it would look better, but I think it makes my whole car look better.

Josh

·
Super Moderator
12,417 Posts
Man, I know. The rotor rust/ non painted calipers. It was never an issue when I couldn't see them. lol. I'll probably paint my calipers, and clean up the rotors pretty soon. I want to put the 13" rotors and cobra calipers on, but I have to get the transmission done next. Rebuild/J-mod. I'm hoping to get it done at the same time, but for some reason the people who own shops around here are keep it stock nazi's. Oh well. The tires are Fierce HP's 245/45/18.

I know how it is. Just take one thing at a time. The end result will always be well worth the wait.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have to say I'm amazed how much better it looks over my sport wheels. I thought it would look better, but I think it makes my whole car look better.

Josh
Changing rims/tires is a big upgrade for any car. They truly do re-define the look of a vehicle and yours looks amazing. (Of course I'm just a little biased) lol. :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I can't

Lower it, Tint the windows, and trow the hood bra away and call it a day.:D
I'd love to tint the windows, but in California you can't tint the driver side or passenger side windows. I don't like the way it looks with just the back windows tinted, so I'm not going to. As for lowering.. I was thinking 1.6" but now that I've seen the wheels on my car I might just do 1"

I like the Hood bra, plus it's covering some chipped paint that's poorly primed lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,417 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crappy tint laws out there.

I've got the 1.6" Vogtlands on mine and like where the car sits. I've never had a problem with clearing speed bumps or straddling road kill, etc.

I think you'll be fine - and very happy with - a 1.6" drop.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'll see.

Sorry to hear about the crappy tint laws out there.

I've got the 1.6" Vogtlands on mine and like where the car sits. I've never had a problem with clearing speed bumps or straddling road kill, etc.

I think you'll be fine - and very happy with - a 1.6" drop.
Yeah, maybe. I'm not sure yet. It's a ways down the road anyway. How does the 1.6" drop handle 5 people in the car? I don't have 5 people in my car often, but it happens.

·
Super Moderator
12,417 Posts
Not well. With 4 people in the car I have rubbing issues with the back tires on the fender wells. Keep in mind that I have 275 tires in the rear and didn't curl the fender lips. When I'm driving the car by myself or with just my wife and I in the car it handles fine.

Other than that the car didn't have a problem with carrying 4 people. I wouldn't recommend carring four or five people for more than a very short trip. If you don't have them yet you'll want some firm shocks to go with the lower springs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd love to tint the windows, but in California you can't tint the driver side or passenger side windows. I don't like the way it looks with just the back windows tinted, so I'm not going to. As for lowering.. I was thinking 1.6" but now that I've seen the wheels on my car I might just do 1".
I used to have 5% tint all the way around but I usually drove with the windows down. You can get away with light tint on the front driver and passenger windows just not 5% like I had. With 18's IMO it looks best dropped 1.5".

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have H&R drop springs on my Mark VIII and I roll out with the wifey and 2 kids the dog and grocceries and have no problems bottoming out.:tongue:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not well. With 4 people in the car I have rubbing issues with the back tires on the fender wells. Keep in mind that I have 275 tires in the rear and didn't curl the fender lips. When I'm driving the car by myself or with just my wife and I in the car it handles fine.

Other than that the car didn't have a problem with carrying 4 people. I wouldn't recommend carring four or five people for more than a very short trip. If you don't have them yet you'll want some firm shocks to go with the lower springs.
Yeah, like I said it's going to be a while before I decide. I've got to find the best compromise between function and looks. .. when isn't that the case? I plan on doing Koni shocks, progressive rate lowering springs of some sort, and refreshing all the bushings while I'm in there. It probably won't happen for a while though.

I have H&R drop springs on my Mark VIII and I roll out with the wifey and 2 kids the dog and grocceries and have no problems bottoming out.:tongue:
It's not so much bottoming out that I'm worried about, just tire rub. Also, Love the Mark VIII's.

Looks good, love the pearl birds!.....Curious as to what it would look like with white wheels... Might be tacky on a thunderbird, but looks great on SOME other cars
Might look good, I don't know. I can't think of many cars I've seen with white wheels that looked good in my opinion. Besides that, I like the way the dark gray goes with the pearl, it really brings out the lines of the car and makes it pop, In my opinion as well I suppose. You're right though it might be interesting to see.

Josh

·
Registered
987 Posts
Glad you are happy with the setup Josh!! =)

As long as you stick with the tire size you are currently running you won't ever have to worry about tire rub regardless of load or lowering up to 2"... =)

If you decide at some point you want to run a 275MM+ rear tire then you are going to contend with tire rub.

The car looks great!! Deff a step in the right direction bro!! Enjoy!!

Cheers

Brad

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ooo, Good to know.

Glad you are happy with the setup Josh!! =)

As long as you stick with the tire size you are currently running you won't ever have to worry about tire rub regardless of load or lowering up to 2"... =)

If you decide at some point you want to run a 275MM+ rear tire then you are going to contend with tire rub.

The car looks great!! Deff a step in the right direction bro!! Enjoy!!

Cheers

Brad
Awesome!! I will be going with the 1.6" drop then. Eventually. Thanks, for the info, the tires/wheels, and the compliments.

Josh

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have 245x45x18's and it rubs when I hit dips with just me in the car :)..On the back I have 275x45x18's till monday and that will go to 285x45x18's..I have a 1.5 drop and with 3 people in the car I run on all 4 corners when I go over dips.. Sounds sooo bad..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts