TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How wide a tire can you put on these stock 15" rims? I have 225's on it now but was thinking of a wider set. My concerns are tires too wide for rim and getting uneven tire wear and tire contact with the fender wells.

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
235/60/15

See this thread for details. http://forums.tccoa.com/14-tires-wheels/133210-tires-rims-mn12.html

Please read through the stuck (Pinned) threads at the beginning of each forum and do a search for the answer to your question before starting a new thread.

Many of your questions have been asked and answered before. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Dig deep enough, and you will find the guy that ran 275s on stock fan blades and swore they worked fine.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Dig deep enough, and you will find the guy that ran 275s on stock fan blades and swore they worked fine.
Based on my experience with 255/50/16 on a 7" wide rim, they probably wore like crap.

Tire width is a function of wheel width. Know how crazy those "hella flush" and "stanced" cars look with a 225 width tire stretched out on a 9" wide wheel look? It's not good for the tire, and neither is running too wide a tire on too narrow of a wheel. If you run too narrow a tire on too wide a wheel, the sidewall cannot flex properly, it'll wear badly on the outside edge, you run the risk of peeling the tire off in a corner, and it looks goofy. If you run too wide a tire on too narrow a wheel, it'll wear badly in the middle (unless you find the sweet spot for air pressure, but run that too low and you lose MPG), and many tire shops simply won't mount it due to liability concerns.

If you go to Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels they show the specs of each tire, and what wheels it will safely fit on. For example, stock 215/70/15's will safely fit on a 5.5" to 7" wide wheel. The tire itself has an 8.7" section width.

If we look at a 235/60/15, it's a shorter tire, but will safely fit on 6.5" to 8.5" wheel, so your 7" wide wheel is right in the middle. It also has a 9.5" section width, so you essentially get an extra inch of contact patch.

The best solution if you want wider tires is to get upsized wheels. 17x8's are getting very inexpensive, 18x9's aren't bad either, I got mine for $500 even. There are plenty of tires available in compatible sizes, that will be wider than stock (245/50/17 is an exact size match) and if you go with 18's, 245/45/18 is also an exact match, and will get you a nice 9.5" section width.

When I bought my car, it was running 255/50/16's on the stock 16x7 Sport wheels. They were too wide for the wheel, wore poorly, and while they were nice and wide, gave lots of traction, I am doing much better now with my 255/40/18's on 18x9" wheels.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Both Woodman and Trunk Monkeys responses are right on. I in no way was promoting such an extreme tire choice. But you did ask the question, "How wide a tire can you put on these stock 15" rims", and 275 is probably the biggest proven example.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I've ran 245/60/15s for 10+ years. BFG T/A.

I had 275s on the rear for a while, I was given some Dunlop GT Qualifiers, what else would you do with them?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

I'm running 235/60's on my 15" oem wheels which by the way is only 6.5 inch wide and they look and wear fine, I would not use anything wider IMO cause even if u can get it on it will be bulging out to much IMO and that 235/60 is like 1/2 inch shorter which will act like u stepped up the gear in it a little, that's what it felt like when I went from 215/70 to the 235/60....hope that helps with your decision............
I have looked around a bit and the 235/60 15's are a lot more expensive than the Bridgestone Fuzion 225/60 15's I have on now. I was going on a suggestion here that I use wider tires for more grip and filling those wheel wells a bit better. But the ones I'm getting now do pretty much what I want as far a reducing the gear a bit and increasing steering response and they hold the road fine so far, I just burn up a set a year. I do a lot of mountain running and in some hard cornering I use the throttle to get ol' Betsy to stay in between the ditches. Good thing their cheap.... Anyway thanks for the input, I will look around some more and know that if I find a decent set at a good price I can go with the 235's.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
235/60-15's are still not going to fill the wheelwell like the stockers. You'll gain 1/2" over the 225's, but still 3/4" shorter than the 215/70's. The gearing difference is not worth mentioning.

But if you're going for handling, some lowering springs will also help to reduce the gap at the top of the wheelwell.

Why not get a set of 16" Sport wheels? Then you can get 225/60-16's or 236/60-16's. The 16's will handle a lot better than 15's.

Al

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
235/60-15's are still not going to fill the wheel well like the stockers. You'll gain 1/2" over the 225's, but still 3/4" shorter than the 215/70's. The gearing difference is not worth mentioning.

But if you're going for handling, some lowering springs will also help to reduce the gap at the top of the wheel well.

Why not get a set of 16" Sport wheels? Then you can get 225/60-16's or 236/60-16's. The 16's will handle a lot better than 15's.

Al
This.

If you want to do it right put some lowering springs on it to drop the car, firm up the ride and decrease the size of the wheel well. Get the sport rims to put bigger tires on.

Bigger tires on stock rims with no other appreciable mods to the car is relatively pointless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts