TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my names 3ATM3, or EATME as my license plate reads when you look at it backwards.

Anyways, I just inheritied a 1995 Thunderbird LX with 175k miles on it, which was really well up kept by my dad, he just bought a 2004 Mazda RX8 (Very Fun To Drive, like me 1985 MR2).

I'm not one who knows A LOT about cars, but I know enough to get me started.

I'm interested in dropping in a new engine and seeing if I can sell the current one, it just needs to be rebuilt, but I think I read somewhere that the 4.6L is very restrictive when it comes to souping it up. I've heard something about cobra engines, but I really want to bang it on the straights, I've got my MR2 (stock) for autocross events, I really dont do those much anyways, I dont know the rules for talk about street racing in here, but me and my friend joke around about racing my thunderbird against his cougar now, both around the same miles, but my dad kept better care of mine vs his grandma, well I take that back, my dad was bad about racing, he managed to beat a 2002 Mustang GT with no problem with two people in the T-Bird and one in the stang, damn cops though; it runs in our blood in our family, car freaks hehe.

Anyways, I need to know what would be the easiest and most inexpensive way to dorp in a good engine, what engine should I go with, etc.

I finnaly found a good TBIRD sight, TCCOA you guys rule!

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
Stock Tbird shouldn't have beat a 2002 GT. You have way more weight and he's got a better power/weight ratio. But anyways.

DOHC swap can be done, but it's a bit of a pain compared to a PI 4.6 swap, and you will have to some EEC magic (new one).

Easiest if you are set on a swap is to swap in a PI engine, then you can keep everything you have more or less.

Otherwise just tune up your engine and soop it up that way. Nothing a little TLC can't fix. 175k isn't all that much for the engine, if it's taken care of you can easily go beyond that.

Most people swap 02 explorer engines in, I think it runs about $1500 or so depending on a number of factors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I dont know why, but we did beat him, a very weird moment, he let off the gas a bit because we were both heading on to the highway and he started to fishtail and overreved, so its his fault hehe, Driver Error, don't you love it?

Anyways, my cd player is stock, but it constnatly "clicks" and then eventually if ever, itll verify the cd is in there with a little square block, and then I can play it but if I start up and stop the car it will start clicking again, what gives? Anyone else had this problem.

If I mod my current engine (which probbaly isnt recommened with the amount of miles on the engine), what would be the best, easiest, without nos of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
3ATM3 said:
Thanks for the info, I dont know why, but we did beat him, a very weird moment, he let off the gas a bit because we were both heading on to the highway and he started to fishtail and overreved, so its his fault hehe, Driver Error, don't you love it?

Anyways, my cd player is stock, but it constnatly "clicks" and then eventually if ever, itll verify the cd is in there with a little square block, and then I can play it but if I start up and stop the car it will start clicking again, what gives? Anyone else had this problem.

If I mod my current engine (which probbaly isnt recommened with the amount of miles on the engine), what would be the best, easiest, without nos of course.
If you just make sure everything is squared away, and the engine parts aren't too worn, then you can mod that one. JL has 215k or so on his engine, and all the parts were within spec for being new (he used mobil 1 since day 1). You'd really have to take a peek and see how good of shape the engine is in.

Mods wise, you have a 95, so your intake sucks. I don't know a whole lot about the 94/95s, but I know alot of the guys swap up the 96/97 intake and fuel rails. I have a 97 intake laying around from mine. Search around and peek around the site, there is TONS of info sitting around.

Make sure to browse through the tech articles, that is a good way to get started. And remember to SEARCH before you start posting madly :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember it started happening about a year after my dad got it, but we tried to get to the CD player but the console was a pain in the arse so we gave up, I heard about using close hangers to take it out but I figured there would be a alarm or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
3ATM3 said:
I remember it started happening about a year after my dad got it, but we tried to get to the CD player but the console was a pain in the arse so we gave up, I heard about using close hangers to take it out but I figured there would be a alarm or something.
Clothes hangers will work, but just go to walmart and buy the $3 tools, makes life ALOT easier.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain to take the dash apart in these cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
3ATM3 said:
What tools might these be, any names, or are you being sarcastic and talking about a hanger :uppoint:
Not sure what they are called... "ford stereo remover tool" or something, :D (there is sarcasm for you) They are 2 u-shaped pieces of metal with the proper edge on the end to release the ford stereo. You insert the tools, push them away from each other <- --->, and the stereo will slide right out. Or you can sit there for 20 minutes and putz with coat hangers that will keep bending and not release the deck properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
yeah, they're U shaped tools. the ends of the U's slip into the 4 holes in the front of the stereo near the corners. then the stereo will slid right out. it's pretty easy with the right tools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
3ATM3 said:
What tools might these be, any names, or are you being sarcastic and talking about a hanger :uppoint:

I think they are refered to as DIN tools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
95greenbird said:



I think they are refered to as DIN tools.
DIN refers to the chasis size of the unit. Just about every stereo is a DIN size chassis. Except for some GM specific DIN and 1/2's and a few Double DIN's.

The tools are FORD specific, no other car needs them.

Most Fords are a DIN chassis and can be mounted without a kit though, every Honda and GM needs a kit pretty much though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top