TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys? I am new to the Thunderbird world, but not new to the Ford world. I have an 89 Mustang GT and have done quite a few mods to it. Although the Mustang gets most of my extra money, I am going to be doing some VERY cheap and free mods to the Tbird.

First off, I have a 94 Tbird LX 4.6. I have noticed that when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, under light acceleration, it tends to vibrate for a few seconds then stop. I have done a search on this forum for the problem and came across someone saying to flush the tranny and converter and that will solve the problem. Is this true? If not what is causing this vibration and what can be done about it.

Thanks alot guys and I look forward to picking your brains in the future.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You could start there, but usually the dreaded torque converter shutter shows itself between drive and overdrive first. I'm not sure of the actual symptoms of it going bad, but 94's are notorious for MLPS sensor going out, but I'm sure someone will tell you if it would cause your symptoms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jurgen said:
do you feel like its the trans or the tc viberating or more like engine mount or trans mount ? does it do it in D or only like you said when u go from 1 and 2
It's not engine mounts. It happens when the shifter is in D. I'm gonna guess it feels like the TC because it keeps driving fine, just vibrating as if I where driving over the little bumps on the side of a highway that are meant to wake you up if you fall asleep.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yep, sounds like TC shudder to me. Flush out the fluids and replace with Mecron V not III tranny fluid. If that doesn't work, well..........

·
Registered
384 Posts
I realize this is kind of an old thread but I am starting to experience the "shutter" too :( I realized it just a few days ago and the first thing I thought of was the TC. I've had the trans rebuilt twice already. Second time was "free". I say that in quotations b/c they charged me $1700 to rebuild it the first time and like maybe three months later it died. But the funny thing is, when I got it back after they rebuilt it I made the guy take a ride w/me and I knew it wasn't right b/c it was shifting too hard and he just said that that was normal. Guess a girl doesn't know what she's talkin' about :rolleyes: and less than three months later my car was back for a "free" tow and "free" rebuild. I'm not sure if they replaced the MLPS sensor or not though. And they probably didn't use the Mercon V either.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I sure hope they replaced the torque converter and flushed the tranny cooler. If not, that would explain the problems. If anyone tells you the fluid turned totally black, you can be pretty sure its the TC. And if they didn't use Mercon V.. well I think that explains a lot about the shop already. lol.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would add a tranny cooler as well. For under $200 you can do the tranny cooler, Jmod and mercV.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yeah, I plan on doing the jmod, tranny cooler and mercon V soon. As for the torque converter, I was planning on either getting one from a Mark VIII or a performance one. Which one would be better for a soon to be mildly modded bird? And would I be able to do all this in my driveway w/just a floor jack and jackstands w/o too much trouble? I don't have a garage :(
Come to think of it, I don't think I'd be able to replace the torque converter in my driveway...

·
Registered
200 Posts
The MK VIII converter/flex plate will probably be the most cost efficient way to go. Do a search, one of the guys posted a step by step for dropping the tranny/TC. With the right equipment y you can do it in the driveway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts