TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm new to SC's....trying to learn

What is DIS? I know it is something concerning Ignition and coil....I just don't know exactly...

Also...what is IC concerning SuperCoupes?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
DIS is Distributorless Ignition System. Instead of having a distributor with a rotor that "directs" the output of the coil to the correct plug, there are coil packs that are wired to each plug. The computer then fires the coil pack at the appropriate time based on the input signals from the crank and cam sensors. Much better setup because the computer directly controls the engine ignition timing and since each plug has it’s own coil pack, the pack has a longer time to charge between firings.

COP is coil on plug where each plug has it’s own dedicated coil that plugs directly into the spark plug. Most of the newer engines have this setup. The COP is even more efficient than the DIS (although it is a DIS) because you have one coil for each plug and it can charge much longer than the coil packs and you have no loss from the plug wires.

IC is I’m assuming they are talking about Intercooling, but I’m not sure, so I’ll keep quiet on that subject. :D

Make since? Hope that rambling explanation helped. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...got it. My 4.6 engines (as you well know) are distributorless....it's not new technology to me...I'd just never heard the acronym before...Thanks.

I'm assuming the IC is intercooler also....

Sooooo new to this Supercharger thing, but I'm trying to get educated!

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts