TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Northern Virginia Mustang Club had their last private rental at Mason Dixon yesterday, and I was finally able to hit my goal of 12's n/a.

With cold air and the new rear I was looking to go down into the 12's a good bit. From the first pass I knew things weren't going to go well. Around the 1000' foot mark, which is a little over 6k in 3rd gear, the torque converter was unlocking and the car basically felt like it was in neutral, so I was pretty much coasting for most of the last 300' of the track. I could let the rpm's fall down below 6k, then hit briefly again. Even still, my best run of the day was a [email protected] I also had a handful of good r/t's...including my first ever .000.

The last few runs of the day I thought I'd screw around on the street tires and run it like it runs on the street. Ending up with a [email protected] with a 2.1 60'.

All in all a good day for me I guess. I discovered another bug in the crappy tune I have, and that the car needs a taller tire. Hoping I can get the tuning issue straightened out quick, the rental at Cecil is a month away and it's the time to run a number!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
What gears did you put in this bad boy??? Hehe anyways what kinda 1/8 mph and times was it running and how good was that 60 ft? Looks to be running good though I hate those crazy things in the software

Robert

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What gears did you put in this bad boy??? Hehe anyways what kinda 1/8 mph and times was it running and how good was that 60 ft? Looks to be running good though I hate those crazy things in the software
I stepped up to 4.30's now. With the big cams and the ported heads, I needed something to get it in the powerband. 1/8 on that run was a 8.1 (previous best was a 8.4 on a [email protected] run) with a 1.8 60'. It runs pretty good for what it is. The tune is the week point in the car right now. In addition to the problems I've mentioned, the thing barely idles while sitting there, most of the time it just stalls out.

·
Super Moderator
12,401 Posts
Congrats Jeff.

:zbeer:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Congrats on the run. That thing is a beast and will be even better when you get a good tune.

What tires were you running?

This is making me wish I had a housing for my 4.30 to install them in. I'm so close to a 12.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Congrats Jeff - How do you like the 4.30's (street and track)? I have 4 sets (3.55,3.73,4.10,4.30) and still trying to decide on one to install in my mark diff.
- Robert

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on the run. That thing is a beast and will be even better when you get a good tune.

What tires were you running?

This is making me wish I had a housing for my 4.30 to install them in. I'm so close to a 12.
The tires are 26x9x15 Hoosier Quick Time Pro's. I love them. The car was hooking up good all day. I'm going to buy some of the professional shots off Mason Dixon's website. They've got a few good launch shots of the car where it's wrinkling them pretty nicely. Maybe get those posted up tonight. I'm going to be selling them soon. I'm going to a 28" tall, 17" drag radial so I can run them on my Mustang as well.

I have no doubts that if it would've been tuned right it would've gone 12.6-12.7 easily. That's with no weight reduction either, lol.

Congrats Jeff - How do you like the 4.30's (street and track)? I have 4 sets (3.55,3.73,4.10,4.30) and still trying to decide on one to install in my mark diff.
I really like the 4.30's. At the track if feels like a monster coming off the line. I don't cruise with it much anymore though. 70-75mph on the highway is about 3500ish rpms in OD...that's only an estimate since I don't have a speedcal yet to make my speedo right.

·
Registered
875 Posts
... I don't cruise with it much anymore though. 70-75mph on the highway is about 3500ish rpms in OD...that's only an estimate since I don't have a speedcal yet to make my speedo right.
That's a little high actually. With my 4.56's and a close to stock sized tire, 70 mph is just under 3,000 rpm. So 70 should be about 2,800 with 4.30's, with a stock sized tire anyway.

Mike

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Yeah the tune sucks! Once you get that taken care of it should only go lower.

Nice runs and congrats on the new times. I enjoyed every minute of it LOL!!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Congrats man! I'm hoping to join the 12 second club myself here pretty soon. I'm finally going to pick up a 3800 stall tomorrow. Based on my time from a couple weeks ago (in my sig) I'm hoping the stall and some stickies will get me there.

·
Super Moderator
12,401 Posts
Congrats man! I'm hoping to join the 12 second club myself here pretty soon. I'm finally going to pick up a 3800 stall tomorrow. Based on my time from a couple weeks ago (in my sig) I'm hoping the stall and some stickies will get me there.
You may need to change you tune to adjust your transmission shift and converter lock up points. Others in the know can give specifics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts