TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I start it because yesterday I became an owner of a new Springfield M1A. It's just the standard infantry rifle variant, but with a black fiberglass stock. Aside from the fact that it's pretty heavy compared to my carbine AR15, I love it so far and can't wait to shoot it. Anyone have any experience with this rifle, or the M14 in the service? My dad was Army MI 62-64 and he still hates the M14, so he wasn't too enthusiastic about this purchase. So who has something good to say about this rifle?

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
You have a 1911, a HK USP, an AR carbine, now an M1A . . . can I come live with you!?!

Honestly, there is one on my list to buy (I want an 18" Scout version though). I like them, and I think they're excellent gun. The gun store in my hometown got a M25 version in from SA a day or so before I picked up my XD after the waiting period and I would definitely own one of those as well (Long distance shooting . . . the next best thing to being there :D).

Got any pics yet? :D

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
7.62mm, no double tap required. The M14 was huge, but indestructible. i talked to a 'nam vet who said its the best rifle he ever had. Ive read a few articles about thee newest M1A variant called the "SOCOM". Its a 7.62 rifle, period. The army still uses the M14, modified with a 'glass stock. The 7.62 more easily takes down doped up camel ****ers over in the sandbox - much easier than the 5.56 NATO round.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have an M1A...hated it and now I like it. I hated the M14 when I was carrying it during drill, but actually shooting it is a lot different. Couldn't find an M14, so I got the M1A. It's not the same, but oh well. I want an AR, but had to go for the garand instead...too much of a classic with a way better sound.

My collection includes:
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
M1A
.303 Enfield
Remington 700 .308 (shortened barrel - the brush gun)
300 Weatherby mag
M1911
Glock 30
Springfield XD40
and a couple shotguns and little plinker 22s

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
7.62mm, no double tap required. The M14 was huge, but indestructible. i talked to a 'nam vet who said its the best rifle he ever had. Ive read a few articles about thee newest M1A variant called the "SOCOM". Its a 7.62 rifle, period. The army still uses the M14, modified with a 'glass stock. The 7.62 more easily takes down doped up camel ****ers over in the sandbox - much easier than the 5.56 NATO round.
I like the new SA SOCOM rifle, it's BA...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, since a few people asked, here's the collection:

From top to bottom we have the M1A, FAB10, AR15, 1911 and HK USP.

The 1911 is an offshore brand, and it's not a good gun. Someday I'll get a real Colt. The USP is a full-sized .45ACP, and it's proven 100% reliable so far.

The AR is a 16-inch Brady Bill-legal Bushmaster A2. 16-inch full heavy barrel under the handguards, stock except for the Hogue grip (which is awesome).

The FAB10 is a CA-legal AR15. It got around the CA gun ban by altering the receiver with a plate welded over the loading slot for the clip. To load it, you have to pull out one pivot pin and load it from the top. 20-inch barrel, full heavy under the guards, A2 upper configuration.

And this one is my newest. It's the standard GI-spec M1A, but with the 'glass stock. I still haven't shot it yet, but it is a 3-day weekend...

So far, my house has not been robbed.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Okay, since a few people asked, here's the collection:
http://members.tccoa.com/mercutio/DSC_1434.jpg[/IM ]
From top to bottom we have the M1A, FAB10, AR15, 1911 and HK USP.[/quote]
Very, very nice collection . . . you need a Mossberg to compliment those guys. :D

[QUOTE="mercutio, post: 926002, member: 696"]
[IMG]http://members.tccoa.com/mercutio/DSC_1436.jpg[/IM ]
The 1911 is an offshore brand, and it's not a good gun. Someday I'll get a real Colt. The USP is a full-sized .45ACP, and it's proven 100% reliable so far.[/quote]
No need in getting a colt, get a SA to compliment your M1A. :D The 1911's are my absolute favorite platform. It was the second gun I ever shot, and it's still the platform I shoot the best. One is one the list to pickup late this year or sometime next year.

[QUOTE="mercutio, post: 926002, member: 696"]
[IMG]http://members.tccoa.com/mercutio/DSC_1439.jpg [/IM ]
[IMG]http://members.tccoa.com/mercutio/DSC_1440.jpg [/IM ]
The AR is a 16-inch Brady Bill-legal Bushmaster A2. 16-inch full heavy barrel under the handguards, stock except for the Hogue grip (which is awesome).

[IMG]http://members.tccoa.com/mercutio/DSC_1441.jpg[/IM ]
The FAB10 is a CA-legal AR15. It got around the CA gun ban by altering the receiver with a plate welded over the loading slot for the clip. To load it, you have to pull out one pivot pin and load it from the top. 20-inch barrel, full heavy under the guards, A2 upper configuration.[/QUOTE]
My heart weeps for those neutered AR's (more so the Cali one than the other, our club has a DPMS A2 circa the AWB that I love to shoot).:(

I want to build a RRA Elite CAR-A4 (it's going to happen this summer). I'm still debating between buying the gun as a whole then tweaking a couple things, buying the complete upper and complete lower, or buying the stripped lower/parts kit/stock and a complete upper.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The AWB carbine is still a hell of a fun weapon, and I use it regularly, so don't feel too bad for it. Granted, I would like to have the flash suppressor on it, but I can say honestly that I've never missed the bayonet mount. As for the FAB10...well, I bought it in CA because I do love the feel of the AR and the way it shoots, and that weapon was the closest thing I could get to it. I don't think I've used it once since I moved out of CA, though.

As for the shotgun issue, I had my eye on the 870 marine stainless. You prefer the Mossberg?

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
As for the shotgun issue, I had my eye on the 870 marine stainless. You prefer the Mossberg?
Yeh, I think it's more of a personal thing. I like the marine magnum, but the thing I like most about the Mossy is that your finger isn't fumbling around the trigger when working the safety. Plus, in the torture test style shooting we do with the club (we went through 1125 rounds of 12 gauge alone in just under 4 hours at the last big shoot with about 5-6 guns), the mossbergs seem to be a little more robust and have a few less finish issues (probably a non-issue if you're getting a marine model). The 870's and 500's both perform wonderfully though.

Truth be told, I'd be happy with an 870 or a 590. I'm keeping my options open right now, but I really want the 590.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have an remington 870 express and a mossberg 835 ulti-mag. I prefer the 870 (much better feel IMO), but damn does that 835 rattle your shoulder with the 3.5 incher in there.

However, neither of those hold a candle to my Benelli M2

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Really off topic.....
but do all of you hunt? Or is the gun/rifle collection just a hobby? I've never shot a gun or anything, I imagine it's a fun thing to do, just don't have any experience or understand what the collections are all about!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My collection is just for general plinking and target shooting, nothing more. Though the USP does make a good home defense weapon.

_95badbird, What sort of scope do you use on your M1A? Mine came with Springfield's coupon for mags, scope mount and such, so I'll probably put a scope on this one. But since I've never had a scope before, I'm sort of at a loss to decide what brand, size, etc.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
My collection is just for general plinking and target shooting, nothing more. Though the USP does make a good home defense weapon.

_95badbird, What sort of scope do you use on your M1A? Mine came with Springfield's coupon for mags, scope mount and such, so I'll probably put a scope on this one. But since I've never had a scope before, I'm sort of at a loss to decide what brand, size, etc.
its in the safe right now.....tommorrow I'll look and see wha it is(I can't believe i don't remember)

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Really off topic.....
but do all of you hunt? Or is the gun/rifle collection just a hobby? I've never shot a gun or anything, I imagine it's a fun thing to do, just don't have any experience or understand what the collections are all about!
Mine is a recreational/personal defense thing. I'm a Range Officer (soon to take over Vice President in a couple weeks) for my school's gun club, so I spend most all of my time with recreation and introducing new shooters to the sport and making sure they're safe. When RO'ing, I don't get to spend much time shooting, but it's a very satisfying job when a first timer comes up and tells you they had a lot of fun and are wanting to come out more often.

Since I don't have a home/apartment of my own to defend the personal defense thing is low on the priority list since IL doesn't have carry permits, but when I am at home my XD does stay close.

This summer, I plan on going to at least a GSSF match, maybe an IDPA match to get into the competition part of it. Once I get out on my own, I may take up deer hunting because, well, Bambi just taste good in a pot of chili :D

If you are ever going to be down in this area, drop me a line, I can get access to some guns and ammunition and take you to the range for an introductory course. :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Mine is a recreational/personal defense thing. I'm a Range Officer (soon to take over Vice President in a couple weeks) for my school's gun club, so I spend most all of my time with recreation and introducing new shooters to the sport and making sure they're safe. When RO'ing, I don't get to spend much time shooting, but it's a very satisfying job when a first timer comes up and tells you they had a lot of fun and are wanting to come out more often.

Since I don't have a home/apartment of my own to defend the personal defense thing is low on the priority list since IL doesn't have carry permits, but when I am at home my XD does stay close.

This summer, I plan on going to at least a GSSF match, maybe an IDPA match to get into the competition part of it. Once I get out on my own, I may take up deer hunting because, well, Bambi just taste good in a pot of chili :D

If you are ever going to be down in this area, drop me a line, I can get access to some guns and ammunition and take you to the range for an introductory course. :)
Wait a sec...
You have a gun club at your school?
Very nice.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Really off topic.....
well...for a variety of reasons. The united states is probably the only country in the world that has a substantial civilian gun market, we possess the legal right to defend ourselves and that legal right can only be revoked by repealing the 2nd amendment (prohibition of an amendment requires a 2/3 vote by the states). Our founding fathers granted us the right to bear arms and I plan to exercise that right. I have many guns, my HK USP-C .45 stays cocked, locked, and packing 9 230 grain hollow points. Think of marksmanship as a diminishing skill, if the blade is not maintained, it becomes ineffective.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts