TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The stock cats are high flows. Hollowing them out will hurt performance unless they were clogged to begin with.
This car seems to come with quite a few thing others dont from the factory. Didn't know they were high flow. Oh right and what i thought was the 3rd cat at first is just the y pipe i believe.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The stock cats are high flows. Hollowing them out will hurt performance unless they were clogged to begin with.
That I did not know!
This car seems to come with quite a few thing others dont from the factory. Didn't know they were high flow. Oh right and what i thought was the 3rd cat at first is just the y pipe i believe.
On the 97 and only 97 models, the Y-pipe is a 3rd CAT. Just an FYI.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
That I did not know!
The most use of aftermarket “high flows” is the increase in pipe diameter to match the rest of your system. You won’t see a performance gain with them in a A-B test

97 are the same as 94-96, only exhaust change is 94-95 has a resonator behind the third cat, 96-97 doesn’t.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
. Anyways back on the allen option who near Fresno had one or is there somewhere i could buy the full kit new or "like new", and how difficult is all this paperwork ive seen people running forced induction around so it seems doable. Oh and the image you put up says its broken
I wasn't aware AED was still even considered an "option" .. far and few between these days, that was a long time ago.

What paper work are you talking about ? There are no papers. Anything is possible until you get caught and your car is impounded. If you really need to know what is involved, It has been posted on these forums in detail .. otherwise the CA DMV website has a link to the BAR and what you need to know before you even consider investing time and money into a project that would require taking your car in for a referee inspection.

How have you guys done the cats did you have them hollowed(i think thats the term) or buy new high flow ones?
Don't mess with your cats unless they are bad its illegal in all 50 states. This exhaust system is not going to gain you any performance value whatsoever .. mufflers will make the car louder. That is all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
That I did not know!
The most use of aftermarket “high flows” is the increase in pipe diameter to match the rest of your system. You won’t see a performance gain with them in a A-B test

97 are the same as 94-96, only exhaust change is 94-95 has a resonator behind the third cat, 96-97 doesn’t.
So that is a 3rd cat how does that work with the mandrel dual setup, you just discard it?

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts

Ahem.

No, the Y pipe is a cat on my 1991 Cougar XR7 also.

Or was ...

There's a resonator bolted to the end of it, before anyone claims it's the resonator.

Walker claims the rear cat is a 15022

RwP

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
So that is a 3rd cat how does that work with the mandrel dual setup, you just discard it?
Basically, yeah. Put an X or H pipe in its place run to the mandrel rear pipes. This may be difficult for you in California, the front two cats alone will usually meet minimum standards through a sniffer, but by the book it’s law that the third cat remains and you’ll fail visual without it. You could install a Y pipe off the third cat into the duals if all else fails.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ahem.

No, the Y pipe is a cat on my 1991 Cougar XR7 also.

Or was ...

There's a resonator bolted to the end of it, before anyone claims it's the resonator.

Walker claims the rear cat is a 15022

RwP
Yes, the Y-pipe is in all model years. However, in the 97 model year specifically, the Y-pipe is the 3rd CAT.

Basically, yeah. Put an X or H pipe in its place run to the mandrel rear pipes. This may be difficult for you in California, the front two cats alone will usually meet minimum standards through a sniffer, but by the book it’s law that the third cat remains and you’ll fail visual without it. You could install a Y pipe off the third cat into the duals if all else fails.
In regards to X or H pipes here in California, I spoke with my emissions guy regarding this. He told me that so long as there is a secondary set of CATs behind the primary CATs, it would still meet California sniffer standards. I'm going to be following this when I get to my exhaust mods.

The way I plan do it on my car would be to attach the secondary CATs directly behind the X-pipe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Damn your gonna have 4 cats? Do they sell them with the cats on behind the x pipe or the guy is gonna put it all together

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
Yes, the Y-pipe is in all model years. However, in the 97 model year specifically, the Y-pipe is the 3rd CAT.
That’s not unique to 97, it’s a third cat in all 4.6 cars as well as others. It was a third cat in my 94.

In regards to X or H pipes here in California, I spoke with my emissions guy regarding this. He told me that so long as there is a secondary set of CATs behind the primary CATs, it would still meet California sniffer standards. I'm going to be following this when I get to my exhaust mods.

The way I plan do it on my car would be to attach the secondary CATs directly behind the X-pipe.
That’s good! That’s how my exhaust is right now, using a stock 4 cat 03 Cobra midpipe for the front half.

Damn your gonna have 4 cats? Do they sell them with the cats on behind the x pipe or the guy is gonna put it all together
The further downstream cats are from the engine the longer they take to adequately light off and do their job.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Is there a performance gain to the true dual setup from mandrel or would a good cat back system give the same? What else is available besides something custom, believe i saw a flowmaster cat back but it may have been for the mustang

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
And in my 1991; not just 1997.

RwP

·
Registered
87 Posts
The flowmaster systems are no longer available. Doubting anyone else makes a performance kit either at this point. The only place to get a more complete kit is through Super Coupe Performance, but open your wallet wide!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
After reading their product info, I'm not confident it'll work out of the box. If you read the product fitment, just about all of those Ford vehicles it fits into are solid rear axle, and you must remember we have IRS. If anything, this is one of those times I'd get something from SCP. I say this because the FRPP unit is no longer being made.

AFAIK, the track-lok unit from SCP is a Yukon unit. Someone who has purchased the unit would be better able to tell you that information.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
After reading their product info, I'm not confident it'll work out of the box. If you read the product fitment, just about all of those Ford vehicles it fits into are solid rear axle, and you must remember we have IRS. If anything, this is one of those times I'd get something from SCP. I say this because the FRPP unit is no longer being made.

AFAIK, the track-lok unit from SCP is a Yukon unit. Someone who has purchased the unit would be better able to tell you that information.
I was also looking at the Yukon units i was just wondering if anyone here had used those before and if it worked. Some came with a factory limited slip by ford right? How do you figure out which have it and which dont without tearing it apart?

·
Administrator
8,007 Posts
Get the car on a lift and turn the rear wheels. If they both turn in the same direction, it's a traction lok.

You can check the door tag axle code to see if it came factory equipped, but if you're not the original owner it may have been swapped out.

Joe

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Not many came with Trak-loc, so it will be slim pickin's in the boneyards. Try car-part.com.

Although I am glad I added it, there is a downside - these cars wheelhop when both wheels are spinning. Even just stepping on it a little to make some noise = wheelhop, which sucks.

The only fix is replacing EVERY bushing in the rear - some with stronger parts. That is a JOB, and I won't be doing it. Even my mechanic (who knows these cars better than anyone) is reluctant to do that job.

Al

41 - 60 of 70 Posts