TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. i wanted to get some of your opinions but first, let me rant this off of my chest. Are the engineers at Nextel friggin retarded or something? Here's the story. For some reason, whenever I send a text message to one of my friends who has a verizon, they recieve my text right away. When they send me a text message back, it takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour to come through. This really sucks when 90% of the people I text message have verizons. thats not all though, there are other things that piss me off. Whenever I download a music ringtone and my phone rings, only "part" of the song plays repeatedly, whereas other cell phone companies play the entire song until you answer it. Another thing is the camera phone. Nextel firts shyed away from the camera phone while all of the other companies were engineering it. Now, Verizon, Cingular all have camera phones for reasonably prices. Nextel finally came out with the camera phone and they want an arm and a leg for it. Anyways, do any of you have this problem with nextel? Tomorrow, after class, I'm going to Verizon to check out there different plans and I'm probably going to switch. i have stood by Nextel for 3 years and they still suck so f*** them!

If any of you work for Nextel, your phone company is incompetent!

Okay all, I'm gonna cool off now but I needed to rant. I will switch to verizon now, probably. let me know what all problems you all have with nextel so I dont feel left out.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
ever since they merged with that craphole sprint its gone downhill. im considering switching to verizon too, im in need of a wireless internet connection and they seem to be the only one with anything that works.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Can't any cell phone be used with any wireless provider? You just have to register it with them? (Yes, I don't know jack about cell phones...) :2huh:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
No, not all cell phones can be used with other providers. Between TDMA, CDMA, GSM, 850/1900 GSM and 900/1800 GSM, 2G, 3G (some of those are technologies of others, like GSM uses TDMA, rtc) then phones locked to providers.

GENERALLY if you get an unlocked GSM phone and the SIM isn't locked, and it is a tri or quad mode phone or one that matches the US standard you can use it.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
It took me a week when I got my Nextel phone for those people to get my phone setup right. The wonderful CSRs are about as useless as gum plugging a hole in a gas tank. I finally got transfered so many times and hung up on that I *****ed loudly and got sent straight to the people with half a brain and got the phone setup right.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
nextel sucks it works in my girlfriends house only outside the house

once you go out of the driveway it doesnt work for 5 miles in either direction

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
VicRattlehead said:
id rather have 2 cups and string than cingular.
I have had Houston Cellular(which was bought out by Cingullar), Nextel, Sprint, and Prime Co.

Cingular has been the best by far.

Nextel is a hit and miss.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Nextel service is very good (for me atleast), but there phones are junk. In the past year I have gone through five i530's, everyone was defective, and the one I have now freezes up all the time, Ive only had it for about a month.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
Have you tried Cell one? it's about the equivalent of the cans and string. and their customer service rivals that of nextel. I'll stick with verizon for now.
cell one = cingular.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I have Altell, works great, good coverage, and the customer service doesn't blow chunks...course I have a simple Nokia phone (no flip open, polyphonic, picture stuff) Works for me, and my blood pressure stays down.

·
Super Moderator
3,594 Posts
They all suck. I've had everyone but Nextel (way too expensive) and they all have crappy customer service and spotty service overall.

BTW, Cellular One -> Airtouch Wireless -> Verizon. I started with Cellular One, stayed through the move to Airtouch and then to Verizon. Each one got progressively worse.

Also, every one of these companies are great until you have a problem. At that point they all suck. They are all also a bunch of crooks too. Read your contract sometime. They could give you a brochure saying it's worth $200 retail and then charge you that full price if you end your contract early.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I guess that I am lucky then. I have had nextel for 5+ years. I started with the big yellow brick. It got thrown into a fire (not my fault) and I still used the phone for like 3 months. Switched to the i90 and had that for 2 years and never had a problem. Now I have the i860 camera phone. It is expensive but I got a great deal on it. Never really have a problem with texts, voice, radio, pictures. So I guess that I am lucky.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sprint is the only provider we have to choose from around here that is reliable enough to provide decent coverage. We have no Verizon and the only Nextel around here is a franchise that still refuses to play the merger game.
It's not only the provider, but the type of phone you are using that will have an effect on coverage. My POS Samsung searches for signal most of the time when I pull it out of my pocket, even outside.
Sprint's customer service SUCKS! It just so happens that I'm a third party PCS dealer and have access to direct numbers to reps with more than half a brain. Most of my customers never bother to even try calling cust. service. They just come directly to me.

BTW, text messaging on ANY provider is NOT reliable. Ask any provider and they will tell you that they only guarantee that a text message will arrive no later than three, that's (3) DAYS. Some have no such guarantee at all. Put simply, do not rely on text messaging to get anything important across to the other party.
Back when I had my att TDMA nokia, it would beep with a text message from ebay quicker than I had time to refresh my auction page. I would know that I was outbid by the text message even when sitting at my computer. Those were the days...

Jim

·
8,239 Posts
i have tmobile, and they are cheapest for what you get 1000 minutes for 3999, plus i get 500 texts for an extra 4.95, so its like 54 bucks a month.

Gooddeal.

Loweryourbills.com has cingular razr phones for free with a 2 year contract, but their plans aren't that great.

Tmobile coverage is ok i suppose

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
cell service you say? I have verizon.....hurricane wilma blew through my 'hood on monday. Well, at work we have no phone lines, no email for management, corporate can't contact the store, and all of the grocery orders for the store cant be sent to the warehouse for polling.

Well, im the only one at work with Verizon service and the only who has enough "bars" to make a call. My manager spent half the day on my phone with ISP support because his Cingular service was non existant. I never have call drops, never have failed calls, and have a 35$ a month bill. I dont need a phone with mp3s, eleventeen megapixel cam, videos, etc...i have a phone to call people. Nextel can make their phones as cool looking as they want, but i hear that damn direct connect beep one more time, someone is gonna get a kick in the junk.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts