TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car would be a perfect car for someone that knows their way around these complex motors... It is a 1989 Supercoupe with a 5 speed. Exterior is white interior red. The car was just painted and has new stock rims with new tires. Interior is cloth and everything works except the speedo. Interior has white face gauges with LED's. I also have a triple gauge pod with vac/boost, water temp, and voltmeter (autometer pro comp). Pioneer cd player with all of the factory speakers and amps replaced. Under the hood is another story... winter time, I got my oil changed cuz it was way too cold to do it myself outside and I took it somewhere and they double gasketed the oil filter and I went outside to warm it up and went back in and came outside and had no oil pressure which in turn, gave the car a horrible knock. I have no clue what it is but Im not driving it anymore but its a beautiful car and if someone has the time and patients, Im sure you wouldn't be dissappointed. Make offer because I just want to pay off the loan that I took out on it. My email is [email protected]
Thanks,
Zack

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Well, I can't buy it, but the knock is most likely a rod knock. Probably trashed a bearing or 2. Not hard to replace if you have the time.

Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have any pictures right now but it has 62,000 original miles and a newly rebuilt tranny and the engine and sc is also rebuilt to all stock. Everything on the car is spotless and everything works its just that knock and a small exhaust leak from where my welder half-assed the job but i only paid him 20 bucks to put it on but I can get that fixed before its sold.
Zack

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
What's the payoff on the loan? Also... if you can prove that a quick lube shop double gasketed the filter, you may be able to stick them with the repair bill. Most places start the car and let pressure come up to check for such a problem. If they did not perform that test they might be held negligent. I'd take 'em to court.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the thing the really made me mad was i only had the car in good running condition for 3000 miles. My payoff is 2800 but I dont think i can ask that much for it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If you were close I would give you a hand. Sorry about your luck. Would you like to purchase another SC? I have a 93 5spd that makes over 300 hp at the crank.

Chris

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
if a automotive shop double gasketed the filter and gave you a rod nock, they are responsible for fixing that problem, being as they caused it...

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
JoeyICU said:
if a automotive shop double gasketed the filter and gave you a rod nock, they are responsible for fixing that problem, being as they caused it...
Yep, Having worked at a quick lube once upon a time I know for a fact that is true.
Alan

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
Yep, Having worked at a quick lube once upon a time I know for a fact that is true.
Alan
* Raises hand as well and confirm this truth *

We had to replace a brand new Toyota Sequoia V8 Engine due to the fact that one of our new employees didn't do the pressure test...he also forgot to put oil in it and let her drive off.

- Tech

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ding ding ding, new engine, my buddy works at the J team he blew up some corrolla motor doing the same thing double gasketed the filter, wam blew the motor like 30 miles from the place, jiffy lube paid for the new motor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah but i waited like 3 months before i said anything to them about it because it didnt have a knock until then... so i wasn't gonna mess with it but now i wish i would have. I went back to them about a month ago and they said that there is nothin i can do about it because i also lost my receipt.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
so they fixed the problem once it occured, you drove it for 3 months, then a knock developed in the engine? The damage could potentially not be their fault, so nevermind, but how many miles are on it?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Clarification please. What is "doublegasketing" a filter?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
It's when you remove the old filter to change it, and the rubber seal/gasket that is incorporated into the filter sticks to the block, and not the gasket. You then place the new filter w/ it's own gasket against the old gasket still stuck on the block, thus creating a leak at the filter, and ultimately you pump all the oil out of the motor and boom - rod knock, or worse- a blown engine.

Jay

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I'd never heard of it, but I can see how it could happen. that would really suck! Imagine chaning your oil before leaving for a long vacation and having that happen about 800 miles away from home!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I just happened to read your location again...You have one of if not THE BEST SC guy in the world in your state. Check him out on SCCoA and look for XR7Dave. He would probably be able to hook you up, and he is not a guy who will treat you like crap.

Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts