TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a cruise in a couple late model nissans today, just looking around.

There was a 04 xterra that really caught my eye.

19k miles, 2.4L four cylinder, 2wd xterra.

Real nice car inside, absolutely zero power, but felt like a well made car (no squeeks, rattles, etc)

They were only asking 11 grand for the car.

I looked on autotrader, this is sort of low pricing, but many fall in the range of 12-13 grand.

I wanted to get a tacoma crew cab, but they are going to be too much money. I want to be under 13 grand.

Right now I'm looking at an xterra, frontier (crew cab), or tacoma (crew cab).

Motor really doesn't matter, i'm not towing anything. I'd be perfectly happy with an underpowered suv or truck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My buddy has one with the 4 cylinder and he only complains about the gas mileage. I think he said he gets 15 around town and 19 or 22 mpg highway. Regarding reliability he hasn't said anything bad.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I'm not a fan of Xterra's because they ride like sh!t.Dude why done you ask me i can probley find you a tacoma or any truck you want for a decent price.Let me know.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
buy the toyota! They are far better built...even an older one!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ya Justin so stop dogging on my 93 toyota truck!At least it will never be stuck in the snow.I know it is an eye sore but believe it or not it is fun to drive,especially in the snow/mud!And the 2.4 22R-FE in it runs great with a 148xxx miles.

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
95xbird said:
I'm not a fan of Xterra's because they ride like sh!t.Dude why done you ask me i can probley find you a tacoma or any truck you want for a decent price.Let me know.
Thanks man i will!

I can't afford that west herr stuff man, i gotta go to east buddah in a shady used car lot to get the deal I want.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
infamous said:
My buddy has one with the 4 cylinder and he only complains about the gas mileage. I think he said he gets 15 around town and 19 or 22 mpg highway. Regarding reliability he hasn't said anything bad.
Holy sh*t, thats about what my F150 gets for mileage. Pretty sad for an underpowered 4 banger

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blue LS said:
Holy sh*t, thats about what my F150 gets for mileage. Pretty sad for an underpowered 4 banger

You must drive a hybrid 89 f150.

Mine gets 15mpg all the time out of a 4.6L v8.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It gets between 13-15 city and 17-19 highway.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
JustinH said:
I can't afford that west herr stuff man,
I'm sure I can find you something in your range very easy.And it will have a warranty.Hop onto www.westherr.com and let me know what you interest you and I'll let you know.

Larry

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks to some for the unqualified 'toyota is better than nissan' comments.

The KA24DE is a very reliable engine with a good service record. There's a lot of Frontiers tearing around nearing 200k on this engine without issue. Its single cam predecessor was used in Hardbody pickups from '91-97 and is easily a quarter million mile engine.

It is underpowered in a heavy Xterra, but it will be reliable. I've been involved with Nissan for years now and run a site similar to TCCOA, only dedicated to Nissan trucks. Feel free to register on www.nissan4wheelers.com and get opinions from knowledgable Nissan guys rather than dyed in the wool Ford guys who think anything that doesn't say Ford on it is crap.

That said, a 3.3 V6 powered Xterra will be much more pleasurable to drive. I have a built 4x4 one with crawler gears in the Tcase, lift, 200lbs of skidplates, ARB lockers, etc, and it still has reasonable power on the road.

The only comparable Toyota SUV was the 4 runner - those typically run a few thousand more than a comparably equipped Xterra. The X has features that are more useful to SUV owners like a much larger/more solid roof rack, as well as interior conveniences like all kinds of tie downs, several 12v outlets, etc.

All Xterras and Frontiers are built in Tennessee.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Desert Rat said:
Thanks to some for the unqualified 'toyota is better than nissan' comments.
Desert Rat said:
dyed in the wool Ford guys who think anything that doesn't say Ford on it is crap.
It is not that Toyota's are better than Nissan's.People speak from past experiance's.And I am qualified and certified to know Toyota's product.

Some people like them and some people dont.To each there own.
Stop trying to blow this thread up with your crap.Sounds like you are looking to argue.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Simmer down there. Not looking to argue. Just creating a level playing field and answering the guy's question instead of starting a debate about toyotas - something he never even asked about.

Nothing wrong with yotas either. I just know Nissans and have an Xterra and a Frontier - the Frontier has the engine he's asking about. I've owned it since new in '98.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts