TCCoA Forums banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
All 94-97 Thunderbirds had led panels in the deck lights, if your 96 dosent yours probably burned out, you can replace the led or get a working set off another car

·
Registered
154 Posts
hmmmm ive got the deck lid panels off my car now so ill check em out to see. only thing i know is when i took them off, there was 1 wire running, and that was for the reverse light, no other wires ran into the panel

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It's possible that someone cut the wires. Someone else had the exact same issue and when he ran new wires the panel worked perfectly. Years of not being used kept them in perfect condition.

·
Registered
871 Posts
there should be a reverse light, and then there should be a white plug dangiling from behind the decklid kinda where the reverse lights are, the tail light should have the male end that plug IIRC

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll check em out today and see if something just isnt/wasnt connected, if so check it and post back later. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
18 Posts
any canadian members interested in doing this, you can buy the night shades paint from canadiantire $12 a can no shipping fees or times. i did my old sable tail lights with this and only used less than half a can...and i put to much on. anyone wondering 1 can is more then enough

·
Registered
18 Posts
also i wouldnt do more then 4 coats i did i think 5 and during the day hours you could not see my brakes lights... kinda asking to get rear ended, i did my buddys and did 3 thin coats turned out perfect.

·
Registered
52 Posts
also i wouldnt do more then 4 coats i did i think 5 and during the day hours you could not see my brakes lights... kinda asking to get rear ended, i did my buddys and did 3 thin coats turned out perfect.
It all depends on how heavy you coat it. If you do it in moderation it can turn out safe and still look good.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Let me add to the headlight painting portion of this thread since some parts are kind of vague. I am currently painting the inside of my headlights and clear corners and it is a bittersweet process so far. The 1997 headlights are fairly easy to work on. To separate the lens from the reflector, I found that setting your oven to "warm" and heating it for twenty minutes or so on a cookie sheet works best. Take off the metal clips and put them aside as they are critical to holding the pieces together as they cool when the process is finished. Use a oven mitt when removing one headlight at a time. You should check them several times after twenty minutes and you will notice that the glue will begin to become pliable. Use a wide prying tool and carefully separate. It may take a few tries in and out of the oven before you finally get it. When all the pieces are apart, mask off the areas you don't want painted, and spray it up. No scuffing or special paint is needed. When dry, remove the tape and you may notice some areas that need some attention. For paint removal I carefully used Q-tips and nail polish remover. Be careful not to rub to long on the reflectors as the chrome will come off, showing the black undercoat. If this happens, don't worry, it's not too visible when complete. Do not pour the remover directly onto the plastic because it will chemically melt the plastic...so dip...don't pour. When you're satisfied with your work, put all four pieces back on your cookie sheet and bake for twenty, reversing your process. Eventually they will come back together without the use of any additional glue. Some may say that you do but you may notice that these are not sealed housings, as evidenced by the black tubes that allow moisture to escape and for fresh air to defog the lenses. Put the metal clips back on and let them cool. I put mine in the freezer to hasten the process.*

Clear corners are a completely different beast. There are primarily two types of glue used on clear corner lights...glue similar to that used on your headlights, or glue that is unaffected by heat. Throw your corners in the oven with the headlights to check which type you have. If they separate easily, give them the same treatment as you did the headlights. If not, you're in for some man-hours! Opening will require the use of a Dremel tool. You will need to cut the lens from the housing. This is not terribly hard. Cut along the edge closest to the housing. You will notice that in some areas your dremel cut-off wheel will not cut deep enough, so you will have to cut into the housing, making sure to keep the mounting tabs for the weatherseal intact. Once you have it separated, make sure to remove the silver metallic paint on the outside edge. Mask. Paint. Then use a caulking gun glue like Liquid Nails to reseal your edges. It may look rough on the outsides but once you get them bolted back into your header panel you will never notice.

A few things to remember while working on this project...
1) There is no need to do a crazy tape job when masking to match the spears at the end of the ribbed areas of the reflector as this attention to detail will not be noticed.
2) If you take out any of the bulb covers when painting...don't forget to put them BACK IN!!!
3) Wash all inside surfaces of the lens/reflector. You may never get a chance to get the grubby fingerprints off again.*
4) Take your time while doing this project. Take plenty of breaks to prevent frustration or part damage. Total time for this project is 10+ hours so make it a weekend deal

Once everything is done, you will be quite pleased with the new look to your Thunderbird/Cougar if you're into this type of thing. (Obviously you are if you are reading this thread)

May the Force be with you!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did my tail lighs with VHT and got pulled over and ticketed a week later, they wernt even that dark. Went to the local junkyard though and picked up all new tailights and painted them a real dark red and havent had any cop trouble like that. VHT is great stuff though, blacked out the amber on my corner lights too. Just dont go toooo dark and you wont have any trouble.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did my tail lights awhile back bought the tinting spray at auto zone i put 4 coats on the tail lights and 2 on the corner lens signal light reason havent got a ticket for that yet 2yrs and going

·
Registered
46 Posts
1 can should do just fine

·
Registered
46 Posts
I must have sprayed mine a little heavier because my corner lenses are darker

·
Banned
198 Posts
My Headights Are Dark Soooo I Put 50 Watt

:tongue: FOGS BELOW THEM ;) AND RUN THEM AT NITE:eek: WITH HEADLIGHTS WITH NO PROBLEM :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
i did my tails today. first 2 coats were light and then did one heavier. then 3 coats of clear. ive tail many sets on various cars. ill post pics soon. also im going to do the front corners.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like danalba black one with the lights made to look like 3 piece lights.I think I`ll do that to mine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
headlights before

cleaned with metal polish

2 coats niteshades, 3 coats clear

masked 1

·
Registered
43 Posts
masked 2

2 coats niteshades and 3 clear