TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I just thought I'd post some pictures of the Cougar's newly smoked taillights.
I did this same thing to my '88 XR7, but I used many more coats and they had the "blacked out" appearance.
I used only two thin coats on these taillights and they look exactly like I wanted them to.
I'm going to wait a month, then use some fine polishing compound to shine 'em up.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
that looks really good, not so dramatic that you're gonna fail inspection. Nice luggage rack :gapteeth:

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments!

I used a product called "Niteshades" from VHT. It can be found on eBay or on the Jeg's website.
Like I said, I just dropped two layers of the paint onto the lights and let it dry. Once I buff them out, it will look even better.
:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
You have to be careful with nightshades. I remember doing the corners in my '87 cougar and they went foggy immediately after application. I guess it's not compatible with some plastics? Anyways, I partially sanded off the part that was clear and it gave the lenses a neat look. They were still foggy even after wet sanding with 2000-grit, the plastic was melted from the propellent, I'm guessing.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always planned on using it on my '88 XR7... I guess it's good that I didn't.
I've had pretty good success with the product. So far, I've used it on:
- 88 Cougar
- 96 Cougar
- 97 Tacoma
- 96 Sebring

No problems yet, but I'll remember that. Some paints do like to "melt" materials.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Used it on Cavalier and Bronco taillights. Although I didn't think about the inspection part, but I do have about 1.5 years until I have to worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts