TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting some Nitrous for my bird. What are my options? what do guy sthink I should use? Sould i use a 100hp shot, 150, maybe even 200 I don't what kind to get, I've heard of wet/dry but I don't know hardly anything about it excpet that it's a alot of bang for the buck. Sould I get a chip to turn my governor off woth nitrous?

·
Registered
222 Posts
BlackTbird96 said:
use a 100hp wet kit

Boy thats pretty vague..... :)

97tibirdman.......First off sounds like your pretty lost and dont have a very good understanding of nitrous.... Do a search for this topic and read until you go blue in the face... Wet vs dry seems like an old debate around here.. Ir it was years ago when I visited the board.. Here is what I knw from FIRST HAND EXPERIANCE not what I've read about and regurgitated...

I had a Wet kit.... 50hp shot good results...
90 hp shot ....good results....
120hp shot good results for about 2 1/4 mile runs....then I had a nitrous backfire and BOOM blew the intake off the top of my car... Had no brakes @ close to 100mph.... scarry.... :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is if I had been happy with the 50 or 90 shots I probly would not have had an explosion and the top of my engine would have been ok..

Some other things people debate about.... Some people say that wet kits are no good for our cars... becasue our intakes are not designed to flow fuel... and the fuel puddles in the bottom of the intake ( fuel for when backfire occurs ) I would have to agree with this personally... other say better nozzel designs atomize the fuel better and puddling does not occur... I dont know if i believe this or not... whe the air hits the inside of the intake ( with fuel in the air) its gonna get it wet to some degree... but like I said O don't know about all of that.....

I do know this, Wet kits make good power.. same can be said for dry to... dry is supposed to be safer??? ( i guess relatively safer) I went from a stock car 1996 no mods... running 15.7-8 @ 88-89 mph to run a 13.8-9 ( forget the speed, but over 100) fun while it lasted... I traded my kit for some amps and Subs... :)

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
use a 100hp wet kit

nx makes a nice kit

or the direct ports are nice

ill eventually be using a 125 dry.

GET IT DYNOTUNED TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT GO LEAN. LEAN = KABOOM

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
97Tibirdman said:
Sould i use a 100hp shot, 150, maybe even 200 I don't what kind to get, I've heard of wet/dry but I don't know hardly anything about it excpet that it's a alot of bang for the buck. Sould I get a chip to turn my governor off woth nitrous?
200 shot? On a stock engine? Sounds like dancing with the devil on that one...

100-125 shot is a good idea. I think NX is making pretty afordable and effective kit (as Vic said).

NOSzle type kits are expensive, but seem to have the best idea. I'll fix this post in a bit when I get home, providing links and whatnot....

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Jason said:

Boy thats pretty vague..... :)
Yea I was at work and just lazy.

But the reason for what I said is because Iv been told by a knowledgable source that a 100hp shot is about the most to go safely on a stock engine. 125+hp can be used but your engine isn't gonna last forever.

Also, Iv been told that the dry kits are a little harder to tune and have everything running safely. So a wet kit would be easier and safer (except for the intake exploding part) But just a run, just let off the gas a little to turn off the nitrous and keep the RPM's up for a second. Then slow down. That way it will clean out the intake because you just slam on the brakes.

My plan with my nitrous is to have to tuned with a flip chip and have the stock N/A setting, a 50 or 75HP setting and then a 100hp shot setting. But I know I will get greedy at some point and have to see what the 125 shot will do.

And as far as the intakes exploding. Just deal with it. :uppoint: Have have a extra intake around as a back up. They are cheap anyways. NPI intakes can be had for about $40-60 and a PI intake for about $50-$80. I just picked up a 2002 intake for the metal crossover for $60 shipped.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I had the NX kit, and ran 75hp around town and 100hp at the strip. It shaved more than a full second off my 1/4 mile times. I ran the wet kit and usually used one jet size bigger than recommended on the fuel side to be sure I wouldn't go lean. I never had any problems with it. I ran 150hp shot a few times, but it's just too much on street tires. Too big a hit at once...instant smoke.

I've since pulled the kit off the car and am selling it. Not because I am afraid of it, I just have other things that I'd rather have the $$$ for. I ran it for about 3 years with never any troubles.

·
Registered
222 Posts
BlackTbird96 said:

And as far as the intakes exploding. Just deal with it. :uppoint: Have have a extra intake around as a back up. They are cheap anyways. NPI intakes can be had for about $40-60 and a PI intake for about $50-$80. I just picked up a 2002 intake for the metal crossover for $60 shipped.

I will agree I can change in intake in 30 mins... dont ask why I can do it so fast... :) But still thats not really the point.... the bad part is you have no brakes when the intake blows a hole in the bottom of it.... :)

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Sir William said:
I had the NX kit, and ran 75hp around town and 100hp at the strip. It shaved more than a full second off my 1/4 mile times. I ran the wet kit and usually used one jet size bigger than recommended on the fuel side to be sure I wouldn't go lean. I never had any problems with it. I ran 150hp shot a few times, but it's just too much on street tires. Too big a hit at once...instant smoke.

I've since pulled the kit off the car and am selling it. Not because I am afraid of it, I just have other things that I'd rather have the $$$ for. I ran it for about 3 years with never any troubles.
Okay, dumb question. How much does it cost to get the Nitrous bottle refilled?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Embalmer said:

Okay, dumb question. How much does it cost to get the Nitrous bottle refilled?
all depends on where you get the bottle filled, anywhere between 2-4 bucks a pound, the bottles in the pics above are 10lb bottles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My shop sells it in Ca for 8 bucks a pound!:uppoint: The next closest dealer is 150 miles away that I am aware of.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
aduty said:
My shop sells it in Ca for 8 bucks a pound!:uppoint:
Wow. You get :zraped:. Nitrous is ~ $2-$4 in Albuquerque...depending on the shop of course. Cheapest is the Checker "performance" place I believe ($2.50)

I had promised links earlier. So:

Official NOS page

NOSzle kit

NOS Wet system

Nitrous Express official site

NX for All Ford Models

Of course, you can sometimes find nitrous systems on eBAY

hope those help out...

Dyno tune the setup to make sure everything's alright. A flip chip might be a nice thing, but I dunno. My only experience w/ Nitrous Oxide is with a 5.0L Mustang...so you might want to heed the advise of the 4.6L guys above that have said they use nitrous.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well i've read all the post here but i beg to differ with some ...i started out with a dry kit as well at 125hp and very good luck and then went to 140hp wet and feels much better i've been using nitrous for about 21/2 years with hardly no problems but the worse thing i have done is split the air box in 2.. violin case as its called..i am using a nos kit that i put together with stuff i had laying around.. using one fogger nozzle with a 59 in the nitrous side and a 36 in the fuel side...hope this helps u out with your decision....:ztoohot:

·
Registered
18 Posts
So these motors and reliably handle bigger shots of nitrous (75 to 125) on a stock motor? I didn't think the pistons could hold the heat.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mustang7302 said:
So these motors and reliably handle bigger shots of nitrous (75 to 125) on a stock motor? I didn't think the pistons could hold the heat.
Same here... Can these stock motors hold a 125 shot? And two other questions:

1) Any opinions on the Zex kit? It looks like a nice starter kit for the noobie (read: me).

2) Do I need to get a chip and new MAF? Or is it more of a recommendation?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've gone through more than 100+ runs with my current nitrous express setup and had zero problems except with the 150 shot on a stock 95 motor. I purposefully blew the motor up because a 99GT motor was going in. On the 99GT motor though, I had run AT LEAST 87 passes with no problems on a 150 shot. The key with the manifold on those cars is the RPM's. You simply can't shoot a 150 WET shot and expect all the fuel to make it through the runners at that low a velocity. I sprayed from 3000 RPM's up in second and third gear on 18" street tires for over 2 years with no problems. Why not in first? Well with 4.10's and a loose convertor, that's well enough to get me out of the hole. A stock motor will last but you must be very smart with it. Personally, I am moving to my new motor, as soon as the shop makes room in a couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts