TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How’s it going guys just picked up a 96 thunderbird in pretty fair condition at a decent price. Everything was working fine I changed the MAF sensor and got some of that power back that went missing. I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden 3rd gear stopped working I lost all acceleration and the overdrive stopped working for a bit. “Speed sensor A“ code came on when I connected the scanner. I changed the speed sensor and the code went away but still no 3rd gear any recommendations??? Plz help the engine only has 130000 miles on it and just about everything works. I can drive the car with the overdrive off but high rpms suck and it’s burning through gas like crazy

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,402 Posts
First of all, welcome!

Sorry to hear about what's going on with the transmission. Have you checked the fluid level and what condition it's in, look or smell burnt?

Just curious but why did you change the MAF?

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I used to have codes that read system to lean and evaporative emission control system popping up. I read that it could be the MAF and when I would unplug my MAF I would gain some horse power back And the car would take off without hesitation. Yet when the MAF was plugged in it would take a split second to respond when stepped on the gas I swapped it out With a new one and now the acceleration is great. My original MAF looked fried when I replaced it aswell. As for the trans gear changes 1 and 2 are smooth but it just won’t go into 3rd. The fluid levels are good and the color is still red there is the slightest smell to it but judging by the color it looks fine. I’m driving with the overdrive off right now because if I don’t whenever I hit around 55 ish the rpms redline and there’s no acceleration

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,733 Posts
Do manual 1 and 2 and reverse still all work properly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time to look at th valvebody and evaluate the soilenoids
Dropping the pan this weekend got a few new codes, system running rich bank 1 and an EGR code. Im going to do a whole tune up as well. still got o2 sensor circuit bank 2 sensor Code showing up wish me luck

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,733 Posts
Well, if manual 1, manual 2, reverse, auto 1 and auto 2 work, that seems to indicate the forward clutch, intermediate clutch, revrse band and OD band are all OK. The missing piece is the direct clutch, which only applies after the auto 2-3 and isn't used in any of the other [manual] gears. If you get the car up above 35-40 MPH and let off the throttle, does it ever make it to 4th or is it limited to 2nd? This could also be caused by a bad one-way clutch as well, which is known to be one of the biggest weak links in the pre-98 transmissions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if manual 1, manual 2, reverse, auto 1 and auto 2 work, that seems to indicate the forward clutch, intermediate clutch, revrse band and OD band are all OK. The missing piece is the direct clutch, which only applies after the auto 2-3 and isn't used in any of the other [manual] gears. If you get the car up above 35-40 MPH and let off the throttle, does it ever make it to 4th or is it limited to 2nd? This could also be caused by a bad one-way clutch as well, which is known to be one of the biggest weak links in the pre-98 transmissions.
It’s limited to 2 and never makes it to 4th

·
Registered
1 Posts
How’s it going guys just picked up a 96 thunderbird in pretty fair condition at a decent price. Everything was working fine I changed the MAF sensor and got some of that power back that went missing. I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden 3rd gear stopped working I lost all acceleration and the overdrive stopped working for a bit. “Speed sensor A“ code came on when I connected the scanner. I changed the speed sensor and the code went away but still no 3rd gear any recommendations??? Plz help the engine only has 130000 miles on it and just about everything works. I can drive the car with the overdrive off but high rpms suck and it’s burning through gas like crazy
Tv cable?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts