TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This transmission is in a 2000 expedition 4x2 with the 4.6 and 4r70w and it has 65k miles on it. This vehicle has never towed anything, the fluid and filter were changed 6k miles ago, and the transmission range sensor was changed about 6k miles ago.

The manual 1st and 2nd on the gear selector work just fine, but when in drive you get 1st and 2nd normal, but when you hit about 35 mph it just revs like neutral. If you turn off the OD with the button it will stay in 2nd past 35mph all the way up to redline, but if you take your foot off the gas it drops gear like it is in neutral. When you reapply the gas it will catch 2nd again at about the same rpm it dropped 2nd.

I checked the fluid and it looks a tad over filled, but it is nice and pink and no shavings. There are no check engine lights and I never saw the OD light blink. I took the wiring connectors off at the transmission and they don’t seem wet or corroded. I also checked to make sure the range sensor wasn't hit and knocked out of alignment.

On a other forum I was told it is possibly a burnt direct clutch. Just looking for other explanations or a confirmation before I buy a rebuilt tranny.

I appreciate any help someone can shed on this problem.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Common Transmission Problems said:
No 3rd or 4th gear:
the direct clutch is burned up. this can be caused by a bad intermediate one way clutch, or coudl have just burnt up.
yup yup yup time for a rebuild buddy. jmod it while your at it lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never recieved a flashing od light.

Is it normal to burn clutches with no signs of it in the fluid? I did the original fluid change at 60k miles and it was pretty clean, and the fluid in there is very clean also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts