TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 4.6 - 4r70W

When my car shifts into OD, it doesn't. It goes into neutral instead. What exactly would cause this? I've been through a full fluid flush, and a MLPS switch, neither fixed the issue. All anyone can say is that I need a rebuild. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? All other tranny function is o.k. I dont think the band is bad, it never slipped. solenoid, possibly. or acc. piston. Some insight into this would be real cool.
thanx

also, I have read the articles. over and over

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've never taken apart a 4R70W, but if it is anything like an AOD, then the Overdrive band may be shot... Can anyone qualify this idea?

PJ

·
Registered
286 Posts
something is preventing OD band apply - worn or broken band, servo not engaging pocket in end of band, bad servo or stuck valve in valve body.

You didn't mention any work on tranny, but if the OD servo has been removed, there's a tricky procedure for engaging its snout in the pocket on the end of the band, listed elsewhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got a 90 T-bird with an AOD, only now it's an A, because my OD does exactly the same thing as yours: Doesn't. It drops into Neutral and the first time it did it, I thought I was gonna blow up my engine. I'm thinking about getting the thing rebuilt, or going to a junkyard and getting another one and putting some performance stuff on it. I don't know how much that'd cost, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts