TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to use my ac and it quit working on me. just blows warm air. After a little checking I realized that the compressor is not kicking on at all. I checked the fuse and it is fine. I heard that there was an in line fuse that may have blown. Is there another fuse I should be checking? If so, where?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like your freon could be low. I believe there is a pressure sensor for the gas, and if it reads to low it cuts out the clutch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree with zero-point. There is a low pressure switch, so when freon gets low it will not allow the compressor to cycle to prevent damage to it. Had the same problem with mine, just needed a recharge.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine quit working after my drive to work this morning. I suspect I have an electrical problem unless something blew while I was at work. From my experience refigerant leaks are generally slow. How many fuses are in the A/C system. Also I notice my fans are not coming on either. Please help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That sounds like your pressure switch cut off. According to the 89 EVTM, You've got a signal going through the A/C - Heater controls (the power comes from the "Run" circuit), to the Pressure switch, and then both to the ECU (which would explain the fan not coming on if it's electric) and the A/C clutch.

Check for power across the plug on the clutch (when the car's in run) (Black/Yellow wire is power, Black ground). If there is nothing there then the switch is open, and it's either bad or the pressue is off (probabaly more likely).

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
everyone here thinks its a electrical problem. which i doubt. its not often electrical problems happen with these cars (so i'm told, and so i've experienced) more than a fuse. i would check your freon level. its the most likely culprit. if it's not that, your compressor may be shot. in which case its not going to be fun as you will have to replace the accumulator, orifice tube, compressor, and all the O rings.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My car is sometimes possessed. I had cold AC on the way home and on the way to work this morning. Fans also are working again as the engine temp did not get as hot as it did yesterday.

The only thing I can think of was that the ignition switch was not all the way in the on position. I had a few experiences with the guages acting funny only to find that the switch was not in the correct position. Perhaps this time it affected the ac and the rad fans? Meanwhile I will check the connectors and fuse block for corrosion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"everyone here thinks its a electrical problem"

He thought it was.... so I told him what to check :tongue:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just recharge your freon in ur A/C. Mine was doin the same thing...it jus needed a recharge. I went cheap....a normal recharge job would cost in the three digits in some places, i just bought a recharge kit at my local Autozone. The kit came with very detailed instructions. And I only paid $40, saving over $100 in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'd bet its low. The Cougar had the same prob all it needed was a recharge and it worked beutifully. The Explorer has the exact same problem as yours, the pressure is too low for the clutch to engage.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree with the majority, low freon... I just recharged mine today and the compressor is cycling perfectly...let it run a little while to see how cold it would get and to my surprise the windows were fogged up and some penguin hoodlums were having a party inside :D ....but seriously for around $30 pick up a can of freon (i am not sure if some states still make it a law for a qualified tech to recharge it or not) at your local parts store.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Turns out it is the climate control unit. Compressor does not cycle when running. It has only happend twice since this writing. All I have to do is reboot the car and I get cold air. An annoyance I can live with. Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Digging up an old thread..my AC clutch is not comming on. It's a new compressor so I think it is not comming on because it is empty. I am trying to fill it at the round canister located at the firewall since that is where I think i am supposed to but it won't take the coolant. So not sure what is going on at this point.??

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Turn on the a/c on max and put a thromometer in the middle vent, use the upper service port on the a/c lines, the only port that will fit the quick connect fitting on the a/c kits. hook the hose up to the port and the can pierce the top of the can then turn it upside down and back it off just enough that the needle is out of the top of the can and will allow the r134a to flow. The can will start to sweat and get really cold. Make sure if you have to use more then 2 cans you buy a can of the lubricant to add as well.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thromometer in the middle vent?? I have the digital climate control. I took the lines off a 96 LX and the only place where the connector fits onto in the round canister near the firewall. I'll go try it again..

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Digging up an old thread..my AC clutch is not comming on. It's a new compressor so I think it is not comming on because it is empty. I am trying to fill it at the round canister located at the firewall since that is where I think i am supposed to but it won't take the coolant. So not sure what is going on at this point.??
I know that I and a number of other fine folks around here could solve the problem without much effort but I think we will keep it a secret. (just wanted to point that out in case you think that people are stupid and forget quickly.)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
by thermometer in the middle vent I mean take a thermometer like you would put in a grill or a fridge and stick the metal post in the middle vent to give you a reading on temp blowing out of the vent as you put in the 134a

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
by thermometer in the middle vent I mean take a thermometer like you would put in a grill or a fridge and stick the metal post in the middle vent to give you a reading on temp blowing out of the vent as you put in the 134a
Thanx for your help.. and BTW I don't think your stupid I just think that of others. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts