TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of those running the PI intake with the aluminum crossover with the stock alternator and no alternator bracket on top, you might want to reconsider....

That was my set up for about 5,000 miles

I took a drive to get dinner last night and bam! The two bolts holding the alternator in place snapped bringing the alternator crashing down onto my belt tensioner, bringing the eec sending unit wires down with it snapping the connector and wires, cracking the tensioner arm in half, causing the now seperated pulley to hit the concrete at 2000rpm, denting what would have been a decent pulley and of course shreading the old belt.

Cost of tensioner w/pulley $53
Cost of belt $30
Cost of 2 bolts $0.98
Cost of electrical tape $1.25
Cost of eec pigtail $12
Cost of eec sending unit $30
Cost of upper bracket on back order from ford $29

Grand total 2 hours, cold dinner, sad girlfriend & $156.23

Sorry for the rant. :(

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Ouch.

I debated a little bit on the bracket, I had a few others to test fit and probably drill (AL crossover with 4G alternator, AL crossover with 3G alternator, plastic with 4G alternator) but I dropped the money on the bracket anyways.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
How would one get one of these said "bracket"s ?

~MG~

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just picked up the bracket today, it was actually $32 with tax, I'm just glad it didn't cause more damage, it easily could have gone straight for the radiator or timing cover.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ya I just checked price from Ford on the Alt bracket.$11 with tax for employee cost.I modified the 95 bracket with some washers to work for now but I will be ordering the 96 bracket this friday.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
so its just a 96/97 model alt bracket?!

~MG~

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the part number on my ford recipt if you need it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
part number wouldnt hurt... (if ya got it)

~MG~

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I never installed my alternator bracket when I put my PI manifold on. Ill probably put it on tonight.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never installed my alternator bracket when I put my PI manifold on. Ill probably put it on tonight.
definately a good idea

·
Registered
292 Posts
My new (aluminum crossover) bracket had two arms that I believe are there to hold the plug wires up (instead of running them under the alternator). I trimmed these off because they were a little too close to the main 12 volt terminal on the alternator.

I have pictures if anyone would like to see, with part numbers plainly visible. These clearly show the differences in bracket holes, as well. PM me if you want them or want to post them for me.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
My new (aluminum crossover) bracket had two arms that I believe are there to hold the plug wires up (instead of running them under the alternator). I trimmed these off because they were a little too close to the main 12 volt terminal on the alternator.

I have pictures if anyone would like to see, with part numbers plainly visible. These clearly show the differences in bracket holes, as well. PM me if you want them or want to post them for me.
I have the same bracket .. I was thinking about trimming off those parts also, because I will be using the COP setup instead of plug wires also.

- dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts