TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in my other thread, I have finally got my bird up and running correctly. now the only problems I am having is-1: the cooling fan won't run, won't turn on with a/c, or heater turned on. I have to unplug the connector from the coolant temp sensor in order to get it to turn on. I have replaced the temp sensors, I have also changed out the PCM. what else could it be?

2: how do I reset the little gauge on the dash for the oil change/coolant low, digital mech????? other than that, it's just an exhaust leak I need to take care of and finish up what I said in the other thread... paint and body work... yada yada yada....

thanks, I have searched, and I have done all it has lead me to. sensors, and pcm.. also, my a/c clutch don't turn on, grant-it, I have the lines off of the compressor, makes for room in changing plugs, and I don't use it.. would this cause a malfunction? thanks again...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Couple of questions...

1. are you sure that the temperature has gotten high enough to turn the fans on by themselves? I believe they come on at 212 in our vehicles.

2. If your A/C compressor does not come on, I don't believe it will trigger the cooling fans, so that test may not work.

3. Have you tried changing the cooling fan relay? These seem to be fairly common reasons for cooling fans not working properly. They can be intermittent, making them a bit hard to diagnose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple of questions...

1. are you sure that the temperature has gotten high enough to turn the fans on by themselves? I believe they come on at 212 in our vehicles.

2. If your A/C compressor does not come on, I don't believe it will trigger the cooling fans, so that test may not work.

3. Have you tried changing the cooling fan relay? These seem to be fairly common reasons for cooling fans not working properly. They can be intermittent, making them a bit hard to diagnose.
1- oh yeah. she's been warm enough....
2- I read in other threads, that at low speeds, or with the a/c on, the rad fan will come on.... is this not true?
3-as far as the relay, I have changed the pcm behind the pass side headlight, and both the temp sensors.. is there another one i'm missing? I have checked all fuses, and maxi fuses...
thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
1- oh yeah. she's been warm enough....
2- I read in other threads, that at low speeds, or with the a/c on, the rad fan will come on.... is this not true?
3-as far as the relay, I have changed the pcm behind the pass side headlight, and both the temp sensors.. is there another one i'm missing? I have checked all fuses, and maxi fuses...
thanks
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-techinfo/cooling/cooling_system.htm

Check out that link, it could help you.

Constant Control Relay Module - This is referred to in the above link (very bottom of the page), it could potentially be a problem for you. However...

With the A/C on, the cooling fan should activate. The issue is that if your A/C compressor is not working, then potentially the cooling fan would NOT come on if you turned the A/C on. However, it should still operate as normal when the proper temperature is reached.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the link... checked it out, and it didn't help as much as I hoped... well, today I changed out the a/c compressors, and the clutch isn't coming on when I turn on the a/c, and still no fan. I ran it till it was too hot to bare. sooo... I am leaning towards a toggle. I hate them, I'd much rather have it come on when it's supposed to, but what can I do.. I am sure I have an electrical problem somewhere, but can't seem to get it worked out. soooo... on to a toggle it is tomorrow.

oh how I hate to put holes in any of my interior!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so now I have a ?....... is the PCM, and the CCRM the same thing? or are they a seperate thing? I'm a little confused.. thanks, Matt

·
5,650 Posts
A couple bits of info that may help you. First, the low-speed fan isn't set to come on until closer to 220*. Second, the PCM and CCRM are not the same. The PCM is the actual computer to which all the sensors and such connect. The CCRM is simply a box full of relays for the fan, A/C, fuel pump and PCM. Third, the fan won't come on with the A/C unless the A/C actually is running (i.e. the A/C clutch engages).

If you haven't manually tested the cooling fan, I would start with that. Directly apply battery voltage to both the low and high speed circuits and verify that they both work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
thanks for the link... checked it out, and it didn't help as much as I hoped... well, today I changed out the a/c compressors, and the clutch isn't coming on when I turn on the a/c, and still no fan.
Did you charge the system with refrigerant? This is a necessary step. Again, if the A/C Compressor does not kick on, it will NOT TRIGGER the cooling fan, so it must work in order for you to test the fan this way. It should NOT affect the fan turning on when the proper temperature is reached (Master486 says *220, so I will assume that he is correct).

For clarity, you have determined that the fan works, correct? I made the assumption that it turned on when you disconnected and reconnected the temp sensor. If this is the case, I would also try simply wiggling the connector to the temp sensor. Perhaps the connector/wiring is not making a good contact?

How are you judging the temperature? The factory gauge is generally not very accurate, so if you are using that as your guide, I would suggest a different method. A scanner can read the engine temp directly from the sensor, and there are other devices which can measure coolant temp more accurately as well.
If you don't know the temperature, then you cannot accurately determine whether or not the fan should have come on.

With regard to the CCRM, it is a metal box located behind the Passenger side headlight, right in front of the air box on this V8 car.

(The cougar I am looking at has part#F48F-12B577-AA, BUT yours may be different because this car is the V8, so keep that in mind.)

The CCRM is not servicable, so if you think that it is bad, you will need to replace it entirely. I am not sure how commonly they fail, so going used on this part may not be a bad idea, but I'll let someone else chime in on that.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have to second the CCRM; relays can be finicky things. I'd personally go to the j/y and get two or three of them; they'll be very cheap and one is bound to be good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For clarity, you have determined that the fan works, correct? I made the assumption that it turned on when you disconnected and reconnected the temp sensor. If this is the case, I would also try simply wiggling the connector to the temp sensor. Perhaps the connector/wiring is not making a good contact?

How are you judging the temperature? The factory gauge is generally not very accurate, so if you are using that as your guide, I would suggest a different method. A scanner can read the engine temp directly from the sensor, and there are other devices which can measure coolant temp more accurately as well.
If you don't know the temperature, then you cannot accurately determine whether or not the fan should have come on.QUOTE]

I got it! thanks for all the help everyone. I was nervous in letting it run too hot, and well I thought, "hhmmmm, maybe it's not getting hot enough." so I let it get hotter, and it kicked on, after I tested the low and high speeds, both are good. let it run in my driveway for about 30 min and it stayed nice and cool! thanks again to all who chimed in! now on to sanding....... Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts