TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the lights and everything stays on while you try to turn it over. fuel pump engages and both cam/crank sensors are connected and everything worked before hand. battery reads 12.45 volts and search didnt help....starter reads 12.6 volts from + terminal to engine block. i even put on my old starter that still works.

you can move the shifter into any gear without pressing on the brake as long as the key is in the ignition.

too tired to go on. car is 99% ready, just need it to start lol

UPDATE: the mlps was damaged during the swap. got a new one 30 minutes ago and everything is fine.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all the accessory lights stay on, it just wont crank. when you turn the ignition over yes the lights turn off while the starter engages. the lights just stay on as i try to turn the engine over.

the trany linkage is connected and i dont believe i touched the mlps.

car is in park/nuetral. also tried in all gears

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Car will only start in Park.
Did you hook up the starter solenoid wire ?? Check the battery connections, engine ground .. did you unplug the EEC or anything else ??

- Dan

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Did you by any chance install a chip? Make sure it's plugged in well.

Take it step by step. Do you have any anti-theft setup that needs reprogrammed since the battery was disconnected?

Do you have 12 volts at the battery cable connection on the starter?

Isn't there only two connections on the starter, one small and one big? I doubt you messed that up, unless you just didn't connect the small one.

·
Registered
767 Posts
yeah check to see if you have 12v at the starter and make sure you connected both ground straps back to the motor mount bolts i had the engine out of my car and all the lights and everything worked without those two grounds disconncted,just thought i'd mention it

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You have the basics hooked up, since you got lights, etc.
Are the ground connections nice and clean for the starter? Use some sand paper, doesn't hurt to check.
Follow the wires from the starter back to battery and what not...
I know this post sounds like it's for a newbie, but after doing the PI swap and staring at the engine for so long, you forget the smallest things, I know I do.
If all of the wires are intact, and the connections are clean, are there any fuses blown?
Do you have a Tuner? Can it connect/communicate with your computer?

When I had my computer/battery unhooked for about a week, a finally figured out all the fuses, I had lights/Radio...I went to crank, and it acted like there was nothing.
I tried it 15-20 times, BOOM turned over.
Never had a problem since...
That was like a 3 weeks ago when I had my MEGA fuse Issue... Starter didnt even click...then it just turned over, haven't had a single problem since.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the power distribution box cover was damaged in the process. havent checked fuses, or the mega fuse yet but everything seems to be connected. anyone know where to get a replacement mega-fuse if it was damaged or blown?

i believe i only have one ground strap on as far as the drivers side block goes. there is 2? is it on the passenger side opposite of the drivers?

no tuner or chip on the car yet. and there are NO check engine lights

starter looks well connected and grounded seeing how it almost fried my 13mm wrench seeing how we forgot to disconnect the battery one of the times. big spark 4 inches from my face was fun lol.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You can buy the mega fuse at vatozone. Same thing happened to me when I did my exploder swap. I also had a faulty ground, fixed that, swapped the fuse and walla...:D Good luck porky.. You'll enjoy it alot.

Israel

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
If you got a big spark and the starter has power going to it, it must have something to do with the ignition wire that goes to the solenoid on the starter, or something else causing that to not get power. Check those wires for power.

There is a small ground strap wire on the passenger side also.

- Dan

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahhhhhh well i will check that ground strap on the pass side tomorrow morning. maybe replace the mega fuse while im at it. where exactly is it located? under the box? i see where the manual labels it but i dont see anything.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
On the side of the fuse box .. but that is only for the alternator. The two wires for the mega fuse to goto the battery and alternator.
Starter is wired up to the battery.

- Dan

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
probe the starter main power wire, and the solenoid turn-on wire (using the starter ground terminal for ground) while someone attempts to crank the car.....if there is no (or low) voltage at the main power wire, then the ground for the starter wire isnt secure enough...could be starter ground strap isnt secure enough, or the engine block ground isnt tight enough.......if there is ground, then probe the solenoid turn-on wire while the key is in the crank position......if there is 12V, then its the solenoid that is faulty and can be replaced serperately.....if no power, time to dig into the power distribution box

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
The Ignition wire goes from your Ignition switch .. To a starter interrupt relay ( if you have Anti-Theft ), Then to the Transmission Range Sender, and to your Starter.
I dont think it has anything to do with your fuse box.

- Dan

1 - 20 of 83 Posts