TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of new Motorcraft plug wires on my 1997 T-Bird 4.6 liter V-8 and don't think I have all the correct wires in the correct positions. I was unable to find any numbers anywhere on the plug wires to indicate what cylinder they were designed for. The only numbers anywhere on the wires that weren't the same on all 8 wires were letters and numbers molded into the spark plug boots, but they made no sense to me at all - something like KM-25, KM-12, etc.

I realize that you can use any wire for any coil terminal-to-plug, but they are made in various lengths and each wire is made in the correct length for the cylinder it's intended to be used on. My problem is that I removed all my previous plug wires first due to an intake manifold swap, so I was unable to change one wire at a time and match it to the length of the wire I just removed.

Does anyone know of a way to identify what wire goes where (I searched and found nothing on this)? Some seem just right, while some seem too long for where I installed them and I was tired from screwing around all weekend on this car and didn't have time tonight to try and rearrange them.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NONE of those posts answer my question! I know which terminal on each coil pack fires what cylinder; I have my plug wires installed on my car and it runs just fine! However, one plug wire in the Motorcraft box is designed (in other words, made to the proper length) to be used with cylinder #8, one is designed to be used with cylinder #6, etc., etc. I don't think I have them installed in the correct positions (for purely aesthetic reasons), but can find no identifying numbers anywhere on the plug wires or boots that indicate what cylinders they are meant to be used on. In the past, whenever I have installed new spark-plug wires on my cars, each wire has had a number printed on it indicating what position it should be installed. This doesn't seem to be the case with the Motorcraft wires and just wondered if I was missing something (I AM pretty worn-out tonight)?!!

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Solution:

Take old plug wire with cylinder number. Find new plug wire that closely matches new plug wire length. Lay aside. Repeat 7 times. Install.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
well said

when i did mine i just laid them out by length (not side by side with the old wires).
That's what I do at the shop EVERY TIME! From small to big then as I change them 1-by-1 just match them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts