TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ones got me scratching my head.At first I had an o2 sensor code for the exhaust.It ran fine for about a week,thenstarted cutting out.I took it to the repair shop and found the fuel filter completely clogged.The fuel pump tested weak also.I brought it home and it ran ok for about another week,then the same issues occured,wont stay running,hard start,no idle.Took it back out and had the fuel pump changed.It ran great for 3 weeks this time,then the same problems came back.Will turn over just fine,then die,absolutely no idle.I was able to drive it back to the shop using both feet and watching my tach the whole time while rolling through a couple stop signs.Any ideas?The car only has 70k miles on it and its a 94.Thanks Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Let me try to clarify a few things... the thread says no fuel. How did you come to that conclusion - did you test for fuel pressure and observe low/zero pressure? How quickly does it die after it starts, is it immediate or does it sputter for a moment then die? You mentioned the fuel filter was clogged - I assume that was replaced? What other maintenance items have been done recently? How long since the last overall tune-up (plugs, wires, MAF sensor cleaning, etc.)?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
On the way back to shop where you drove with both feet, how did it run while you were on the throttle? I'm beginning to wonder if you don't just have some kind of idle control/vacuum leak problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having trouble on my end trying log on this site.Not sure whats different than before,but my password is being rejected time and again.Driving with booth feet was really a challenge.The shop is about 2 mi. away and and all I can say is the car ran.Not well at all.It stalledtwice when I had to slow down and apply the brakes,but I made it.I checked for vacuum leaks,but not the AIC.Upon starting the engine turns like it should but dies right away.It seems odd the new fuel pump made it run like new for 3-4 weeks,then the problems came back.Seems odd that a brand new fuel pump would fail that soon.I'm looking at a Haynes manuel for clues.Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
The made in china parts store fuel pumps can be very hit or miss, and I have had a few that either were no good out of the box, or failed shortly after installing them. The first thing I would do would be turn the key on and listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump running. It should run for a few seconds when you turn the key on, then stop. If you don't hear any humming when you turn the key on, the next thing I would check would be the inertia switch in the trunk on the driver's side. Make sure the red button is pushed down all the way. If the inertia switch is fine, and you still don't hear the pump running, you will have to get underneath and check for power and ground. There is a grey connector right in front of the fuel tank on the right side of the car, which you can access without dropping the tank. Since the PCM only commands the pump on for a few seconds when you turn the key on, you will likely need someone to turn the key on for you while you check for power and ground. If you have power and ground at that connector, but the pump doesn't turn, and you have no fuel pressure, then bring it back to the shop that installed the fuel pump and tell them to fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no fuel

The inertia switch was ok.The old pump ran with the key test,but was weak.The switch you mentioned was never checked as far as I know.I hauled it back to the mechanic already,but I'll give him a heads up on that switch.Thanks,Joe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts