TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just landed the deal of a lifetime for my cousin who needed a car. I found him a 1993 Thunderbird 3.8 V6 for $200.00 This car was given to a guy by his uncle before he died. The guy basicly was giving the car away because it was overheating and the brakes did not work.
We picked the car up for $200 and had the brakes bled and installed a new radiator. My cousin then drove it home 300 miles a week ago without any issues until today. He called me and explained that the heat is not working. I asked him if it was getting hot or leaking any antifreeze in the floorboard. It is not getting hot, or leaking any coolant so I am sorta stumped on this one. The blower is pushing air, but it is just barely warm.

Maybe the heater core is bad, but is there something I am overlooking? :confused:
Frank

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
The coolant has a big aXX bubble by the thermostat, most likely. :)

Look up the procedure for burping the coolant on a 4.6, and your heater will probably work.

Intermittent or no heat problems on our cars is usually lack of proper coolant circulation due to an air bubble at the top of the engine; if it's over a certain size, it won't clear itself.

I've had this problem at one time or another; so have most of us...

·
Registered
136 Posts
You should make sure that the heater core isn't bypassed.

This was the case on a very used car that I purchased in 1985.

If it is bypassed, there might be a damn good reason, suck as a leaking heater core. I learned this the hard way. Thankfully the beast was not carpeted.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Does it have climate control or manual A/C?

If it's climate control it could be the blend door actuator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Damn..............I have the same problem..........no heat............new waterpump was installed a month ago and the motor runs cool (midrange on guage), it does have a tstat installed so its not been removed. AC works great but no heat............and I'm pretty sure it aint the stat........how do I bleed this large air bubble deal or could it be a heater solenoid/valve if such a thing exists?

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Guys-check for a blown fuse. The blend door is actuated by an electrical blend door motor. May not work on the '93,but on the '97 I know it could be an issue-I ran into that problem the first winter I had my car.
JL

·
Registered
33 Posts
FIXED!!!!.....Master and Johnny were correct...............it was a blown 5 amp fuse on my 97 3.8.........heat is fixed, not that I need it that much here in Florida............thanks guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
heater issue....

Well I gotta say you guys are very helpful..I had the a/c blend door problem last year and I knew it cause I read the --- clicking problem ---- somewhere on this forum post -- saved me whatever the dealer would of charged. Yesterday my heater was working great.. but it was -1 today and when i went to take the kid to school no heat. >.. Dam it was a cold ride. I will try the fuses when it gets a bit less cooler.. if indeed its a air bubble then would simply opening the radiator cap do the trick??? Thanks again for all the times craps gone wrong and you guys had the answer or at least helped me find it.

Ps I think my car gets mad at me when I dont come to this site at least once a year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Proper cooling system operation

I am having a similar problem.
Radiator sprung a leak. Used Bars Leak, bad idea. Did not seal, turned coolant a very dark green. Replaced radiator, upper and lower hoses, thermostat, and radiator cap. Flushed out radiator numerous times to restore normal green color.
Temp gauge goes to middle, then drops back to quarter. Will go back to half, if not moving, and return to one quarter, when moving. Before radiator trouble, gauge would go to middle and stay there.
Fan will cycle on and off when necessary. Heat is good.
Before the radiator problem, the engine used to ping. Now, it doesn't.
Is this because of the "air bubble"? Should I leave it alone?
BTW, MPG has suffered slightly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts