TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh. It's -2* in Cleveland today and I had to drive the Cougar to work without any heat!

Yesterday I was on my way out there and the car almost overheated. T-stat didn't open up. I slowly opened the radiator cap to find that yes, it was pressurized. I closed it quickly to avoid spraying fluid everywhere. After that, I started the car and everything was fine.

Today I was on my way to work and the car stayed nice and cool, but there was no heat through the vents! :mad:

A buddy recommended to swap out the t-stat because it may have failed in the open position. I'm also going to check to make sure the coolant level is where it's sposed to be. Changing it in the cold isn't going to be fun.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
frosty

Hello

It sounds like your radiator coolant is low. This will effect your heat because the heater core is higher than your radiator. With this temp. you probably do have some ice in your system still.

I would replace all of your coolant & either place your thermostat in hot water to see if she still works or just replace. Don't replace with a cheep one, You will not be happy with it. For best results place your car in a heated garage over night. this will help melt the ice.

NOTE--To build heat faster, place a piece of cardboard in-front of half of your radiator. Remember to remove when the weather breaks.

PAUL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts