TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble with my highbeams lately, they dont like to be on. When I pull the lever back and hold it, its fine. But when I flip it foward to lock it, it will either just kill the lights and leave me blind, or turn on for a few second then shut off. Pulling back slightly on the levery while locked seems to help. Around here, I need highbeams, for the deer's sake.:rolleyes:
I do have my fan on a manual switch, and the fan is grounded to the same bolt as the lights, might this have something to do with it?
btw, its a 96 sport. mechanical porblems, I got covered. But not this friggn electric stuff:confused:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
might be a problem of the multifunction switch, it controls everything on the stick, wipers lights, turnsignals etc.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
BlackbirdSport said:
I've been having trouble with my highbeams lately, they dont like to be on. When I pull the lever back and hold it, its fine. But when I flip it foward to lock it, it will either just kill the lights and leave me blind, or turn on for a few second then shut off. Pulling back slightly on the levery while locked seems to help. Around here, I need highbeams, for the deer's sake.:rolleyes:
I do have my fan on a manual switch, and the fan is grounded to the same bolt as the lights, might this have something to do with it?
btw, its a 96 sport. mechanical porblems, I got covered. But not this friggn electric stuff:confused:
I agree with Vic. The switch costs $50 from ford (no discount). I happen to have a switch, turned out my switch's wiring was just loose. I'll sell for $30 shipped. If it doesn't fix the problem, I'll refund the entire $30.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have one too that I will just send to you if you want it. Its taking up space and I have no use for it. No cost man, and I am not trying to step on anyones toes.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I don't have a spare one anymore, but the spare I did have - fixed my lack of high AND low beams, my highs would work when the stick was pulled back as well. The signals never stopped working, neither did the wipers/spray function.

My vote is with that switch as well. Takes about 1/2 hour maximum to switch it out :).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm, might explain why my flashers dont work either. lol
so what is the multifunction switch? Going by the name... Does the car route power for many things through one switch?

·
Registered
130 Posts
multifunction switch

The "multifunction siwitch" controls the turn signals, the wipers, the washer, and the hazard; all in one unit.

To replace it you need to remove the plastic shroud on the steering column 4-screws.

To get the upper shroud off, you need to remove the iginition switch cylinder. It takes a little fiddling. I found the easiest way is to use a long-handled 1/8 (or smaller) hex wrech to disengage the cylinder lockpin. You access this from underneath the steering column. Put the key into your ignition and turn to the "on" position (don't crank you car). Depress the lock pin while pulling on your key and presto! the ignition cylinder pops out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts