TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to assume that it happens to everybody. It'd just make me feel better. But I'm at a point where I don't know what the hell I want to do with myself. Well... better yet.. I know /what/ I want to do. I just don't know really how to go about doing or paying for it. I've been working since I graduated High School in 01 and have only taken 2 semesters of college. In that time, I've probably had anywhere from 10-15 jobs ranging from telemarketing, to car sales, to service, to selling knives, to food service of several varieties and the problem is, none of it has a damn bit of anything to do with what I want to do with my life. It'd probably help if I explained a bit.

ever since I first got my hands dirty working under the hood of this car, I've wanted to work around and with cars. So.. I went to school, got me a little education and started working on them. Oil changes, tires, no big deal. Problem was, even though it was a busy store, work was sporradic at times and I learned a lesson about the automotive service industry. General Repair sucks. Period. End of story.

So I thought a bit harder and said to myself. Well... what about cars doesn't suck? Making them faster. Making them handle better. Making them look better. Making them sound better. I want to do all of that stuff. So I set a goal for myself. A dream, though I'm sure a lot of people would call it a pipe dream. I want to build a business around doing the stuff above. Problem is, that takes money. So... here I am.. looking for a job.. because my last one had me smoking almost 2 packs a day I was so stressed... and I can't think of a single thing that could possibly keep my interest long enough to let me work through school and save to start my own business.

But then I start wondering about how I'm going to get the education on auto performance without going to school? It doesn't seem like there are any really good performance shops in San Diego.. atleast none that I know about. And the only schools for that kind of stuff are Wyo-Tech (closest campus to me is Sacramento, IIRC) and UTI (which is in riverside) and apparently has a pretty terrible reputation in the industry. So there's problem number 2.

Number three, is the trifling matter of college. I don't think I'd be happy with any of the above unless I was able to finish a degree in my current major, which happens to be ME. But that just gets into more problems about money. My dad is close to retiring (I'm talking end of the year), my brother recently spent 20k at UCR only to be booted out for academic problems. Now he's going to JC and my Dad is footing the bill. My sister is about 6-8 months pregnant, the guy is not around. Again, my dad gets the bill. And even though it is my education, I don't feel comfortable asking for him to pay for my **** too. It just doesn't seem right to me.

But I'm going to need college/education to pursue either of my dreams and I'm going to need money for that. And to earn money I need a job. And to have a job, I need to find some place I can put up with for more than 6 months. Maybe I'm just expecting things to be too easy. I dunno. I just figure that there has got to be /someplace/ that I can work that I would enjoy and further my ambitions. I'm just lost for where to find one..

I don't really know what I'm looking for here. Maybe just some place to vent. A couple ideas from outside of my own head. Anything I guess.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well, I can help you for sure about your money woes.

Depending on the school your trying to go to, if you scored high in the ACTs/SATs scholarships can be awarded (pretty good ones too).

Also, try the FAFSA www.fafsa.ed.gov this is FREE to apply for and with it you could get your entire tuition paid. Granted you must pay SOME of it back eventually; however, after you are DONE with college you get a 6 month grace period to get a job, and payments start around $50 a month depending on your plan.

Don't forget to look into possible companies giving out scholarships. Fastweb is a great site to look for scholarship money for absolutely free.

Serious about doing good? Try getting into Honors programs at the University of your choice. I got a transfer scholarship of $2000 because I offered to take 12 credit hours of their courses in the course of 2 years, and of course maintain a high GPA (3.35+). Honors programs even offer FULL tuition if your really into their programs, along with a lot of other GREAT advantages.

As much as your pride prevents you, you may still need to ask your family for help. There is nothing wrong in asking. I understand the mistakes of your sister w/ the pregnancy thing man, but you got to think about YOUR life also. Your brother's academic failure at that school should give you more inspiration not to fail. Remember, you don't pay tuition UP FRONT, you usually pay it at the end of the semester.

I hoped I helped you.

Best of luck,

John

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
Well, I can help you for sure about your money woes.

Depending on the school your trying to go to, if you scored high in the ACTs/SATs scholarships can be awarded (pretty good ones too).

Also, try the FAFSA www.fafsa.ed.gov this is FREE to apply for and with it you could get your entire tuition paid. Granted you must pay SOME of it back eventually; however, after you are DONE with college you get a 6 month grace period to get a job, and payments start around $50 a month depending on your plan.

Don't forget to look into possible companies giving out scholarships. Fastweb is a great site to look for scholarship money for absolutely free.

Serious about doing good? Try getting into Honors programs at the University of your choice. I got a transfer scholarship of $2000 because I offered to take 12 credit hours of their courses in the course of 2 years, and of course maintain a high GPA (3.35+). Honors programs even offer FULL tuition if your really into their programs, along with a lot of other GREAT advantages.

As much as your pride prevents you, you may still need to ask your family for help. There is nothing wrong in asking. I understand the mistakes of your sister w/ the pregnancy thing man, but you got to think about YOUR life also. Your brother's academic failure at that school should give you more inspiration not to fail. Remember, you don't pay tuition UP FRONT, you usually pay it at the end of the semester.

I hoped I helped you.

Best of luck,

John
I would agree with a lot of what John has said...one minor thing though every school I've been associated with (community college and university, both in FL) and everything I've ever heard of you pay tuition within the first week of school starting, not at the end of the semester.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
thumphed said:
at my school, its paid up front. first i ever heard of paying it at the end ....
Hm.. maybe I was wrong about that. I used to work in Financial Aid so I know some stuff.

Well, if I was you, contact the Financial Aid dept. of the University your looking into and talk about if payment plans are possible.

Never hurts to ask eh?

·
Registered
698 Posts
What you should do is look for hotrod shops to get your foot in the door. they probably don't pay worth a shiznit, but, if it is something you love, then money is no object. you should have it made though, you are in SO-Cal, the hotrod and performance capital of the world. Detroit doesn't even rank even close to SO-Cal. try that to get your foot in the door. Hell, right now, I'm unemployed and went to school. everyone and their dog wants someone with 1.5 billion years experience and all that crap, can't even get my foot in the door. I'm looking at working at menards until i can find a job with my field (automotive engineering tech). That's all I can say to do right now. Also, go look into a street rodder or some other kind of magazine, you will find a whole bunch of ads for 'glass street rods and the such, if there is one in your area, drop off a resume (yes, in person, email r teh sux). that's what i can tell ya from personal experience.

Wiz

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I looked into a tech school that was all about performance engines...I can't remember the name of it now but it was in Houston Texas. There were entire semesters devoted to head work, engine assembly, etc.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I'd also agree with what John said, but I'd move the FAFSA thing to the absolute top of the list. You're too late for applying for this Fall, but if you get it all ready to go, then submit it as close to the beginning of the year as possible (like, January 2nd), you have a good chance of getting some aide. Most people qualify for SOME federal assistance. Since my house didn't make a lot of income and I live in what is classified as an "impoverished area", PELL grants and work study paid for nearly every dime of my 2-year degree at community college.

You can do deferred tuition at a lot of schools that buys you a little time to at least come up with money, but like the other guys were saying, most schools I've been associated with want their money at registration.

What I'd do if I were you... find a school, scratch that, find a BUNCH of schools that you want to attend, go to their counseling departments, and just tell a counselor where you're at. You'd be surprised just how much assistance is out there that just isn't advertised. Assuming you left your last school in good standing (no academic probation/expulsion, no debts, etc.) and you had decent GPAs in high school and your last higher ed. school, definitely run-and-gun for any scholarships you can. Start applying when they become available (usually Winter/early Spring). A little clever Googling will help out.

A friend of mine is heading to Wyotech this Fall, but I don't really know anything about the school other than the fact that they have nice coffee cups. I hear good things though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
I'd like to assume that it happens to everybody. It'd just make me feel better. But I'm at a point where I don't know what the hell I want to do with myself. Well... better yet.. I know /what/ I want to do. I just don't know really how to go about doing or paying for it. I've been working since I graduated High School in 01 and have only taken 2 semesters of college. In that time, I've probably had anywhere from 10-15 jobs ranging from telemarketing, to car sales, to service, to selling knives, to food service of several varieties and the problem is, none of it has a damn bit of anything to do with what I want to do with my life. It'd probably help if I explained a bit.
** Snipped to save space **

Have you considered joining the Navy? The reason I ask is, at your age I was pretty much in the same situation. I bounced around a while then wound up driving a wrecker for 9 years, then I switched to lowboy tractor trailers locally (mostly) hauling heavy equipment. That was fine until I got burnt out on dealing with the morons on the road.

I switched careers again about a year ago at age 37 to forklift repair but the company shut that division down at the end of last year because the Navy didn't re-new the contract. Since I work for a major defense contractor, they switched me to the ship repair division, sent me to a couple of classes for specialty stuff and now I'm having a ball. I thoroughly enjoy the work in spite of sometimes horrid conditions (extreme heat/cold).

Anyway, the reason I suggested joining the Navy is this...

1: You can come out of the Navy and get a job with almost any defense contractor.

2: The higher your rate in the Navy, the better the pay and position you get when you get out.

3: The GI Bill! They will pay for you to further your education when you get out and send you to school while you're in to boot!

At this point in my life, I wish I had joined the Navy or some branch of the service. I'd be more disciplined than I am now and my career would be a lot further along. Just food for thought. :)

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Also a good recommendation. I was going to say, but forgot, that's really cool of you not to want to burden your dad like that. You'll stick out -in a positive way- if you're the one who keeps his sh!t together and maintains a good relationship with the guy. Dads need that too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
If you want to get to work right away and continue on with the ME degree look into Kettering University. Its not really a performance school but they give you over half th eyear working in a co-op job that applies to your major. Its expensive but between fafsa and loans my tuition gets paid. They are selective so good test scores and grades help. Its primarily aan engineering school with about 80% ME's and most everyone is a gearhead. Its real nice to go to school for 11 weeks then come back to work and apply what I have learned. I actually feel I learn more from work than from school. May not be what you are lookign for but figured I would throw it out there for you.

-Miller

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Student Loans.. pay them back after you graduate school and get a good job!!! =) Also, go to the dragstrip... find some old cars, ask around if they had work done at a "speed shop" or "custom car shop" make a list of places and go there and ask if they need any help. Hell even if they need help mopping the friggin floor.. get your foot in the door. Eventually you will move up. =)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Dude this is the story of my life. I am a senior in college majoring in accounting. I spend most of the money I make on my car, which is why I am broke right now and wondering how to pay some of my bills. You can send donations via paypal. Anyways, I took a couple of years off until I decided that I wanted to go back. I went back cause I hurt my back really bad. I was confined to a bed for like 2 weeks. It was some muscle thing. But I couldn't stress my back. I still can't and it has been like five years. So school was my only option. My parents wouldn't pay for it and didn't want to help out. So I went to Harper (University of Southern Palatine for us locals). I didn't even make it through a year when I transferred to NIU. The financial person there showed me what steps to take and how to get all my college paid for while I was in college. I have loans. Fasfa and wells fargo, pay for both my tution and my transportation. When I graduate I will have tons of bills to pay, however I will have 12 years to pay them, and I am formulating a plan on paying them back realy quick.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Dont think the "no jobs" issue rests solely on the automotive industy. Everywhere, save for fast food, is currently not hiring....at least in this area.

I have a degree from a private college. After I graduated I decided that I needed to continue on with my education if I was to ever make anything of myself.....Unfortunately a degree in business administration doesnt go far when you are still in school. Every job I want is 7-3, 8-4 or 9-5; not happeing with school.

I know this is almost a cliche but keep trying. Even if things dont seem to be going well now as long as you are doing something to get yourself closer to your goal; whether it be continued school, a job at a shop or even as simple as looking for a job in the paper, I think you will find what you are looking for.

Good Luck!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts