TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a parts car that doesn't have keys or a steering wheel for that matter. I need to bust the steering column loose so I can steer the thing into my driveway. What do I need to be looking for?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm assuming the trans is in neutral then??? I would just get a couple heavy duty dollies at home depot or something and jsut put em under teh front tires.... but that's just me.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should have specified that the car does not run. It's in park. Don't thieves bust these things loose when they hot-wire a car? What exactly is it that keeps the wheel from turning? I don't mind busting this thing up. Its a 96 Tbird btw. Even though its in park, it rolls. The tow truck driver did that so he could get it up on his flat bed.

·
The Parts Guy
8,009 Posts
If you just need to steer it (don't need to get it out of park), just disconnect the steering column from the steering shaft at the u-joint under the dash. You'll just need to remove one 13mm bolt. Then you can steer the car by physically turning the tires (from outside the car).

-Rod

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ive done this with a work van before....it involves kicking the **** out of the tires and a couple guys pushing while you work together kicking tires to steer/straighten it out.

Makes for a good time!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you just need to steer it (don't need to get it out of park), just disconnect the steering column from the steering shaft at the u-joint under the dash. You'll just need to remove one 13mm bolt. Then you can steer the car by physically turning the tires (from outside the car).

-Rod
Thanks for the tip, Rod. I'm not sure why I didn't think of this. Sometimes I think my brain doesn't work!

Yeah it made for a good time! LOL. Unfortunately for me, the front tires were almost flat and I don't have a compressor. It made it real hard to turn the wheels. I ended up jacking up the front and turning the wheels. Good times.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I used wheel dollies... basically a creeper only for wheels... the also don't bind as easy on rocks and seperations in concrete slabs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.