TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My torque converter doesn't lock up anymore. I noticed this on the way to work this morning. I was doing 70 mph and noticed the engine was turning 2300 rpm instead of the usual 2000 rpm. The slightest presure on the accelerator causes the engine to slip another 300 rpm until the speedometer catches up. It does this on the street also. It's a Gt torque converter that I installed a year and a half ago when I did the GT engine swap. Do I need a flush and fill a new torque converter or is this more serious? Thanks for any help!

Eric

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Usually this only happens under 2 conditions: 1 it delays lockup while the trans is cold, to help warm up faster. 2 the EEC saw something it doesnt like and its unlocking the TC to 'save it'. See if there are any codes in the EEC at an autozone. get the code # and we'll see what we can do. the second case happens in these cars when the TC's wear out, but i dont think the 00 should have worn out unless somethings really wrong. How does the fluid look? use a white paper towel and tells us the color and smell.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Isn't there a solonoid in the trans that controls the lockup? Maybe that took a dump

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Tim, there sure is...and that is possible...

I have noticed twice, on what were probably the two coldest days in the last year here, that when I started my car up and went for a 10-minute drive, max speed 45 mph, that the TC did not lock. I was sitting around 1500 in OD and it was obviously not locked up. I'm thinking temp might have something to do with it.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Palmguy,

In your case I think you are correct the EEC changes the lockup schedule to bring the fluid up to temp and also the oposite if it gets too hot will lock more often.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I checked the fluid and it's definatly not red any more! It's a pinkish-brown color. As far as codes go, a couple of weeks ago the O/D light flashed twice during a one week period, both times I checked for codes with my scanner and nothing came up. I didn't know what to make of it because the car was running fine. Anyway I'm going to drain the trans and tc and put in some fresh Merc V and hope that works.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Silver's on the money. The engine coolant has to be above a certain point before lock will be commanded. If the CPM commands lock and sees a slip, it will disable lockup for a while to keep the TCC from eating a hole in the TC.

Lockup is also disabled if the PCM sees the brake lights on, or sees closed throttle or WOT from the TPS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts