TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the highway yesterday when the car dropped from 4th to 3rd, then back to 4th, then to 2nd. I pulled over as quickly as I could, but I guess it wasn't soon enough. I checked the fluid levels and it was completely empty. I ended up having it towed to a shop by my house.

They looked at it today and said that one of the hoses popped off the cooler and dumped the fluid. They replaced the line in question, but the damage was already done. No more 3rd gear.

I'm not quite sure what to do regarding a replacement. Money is tight (see also: damn near nonexistent), so I'm kind of in a rut. I don't know much about the tranny currently in the car - I know it was a rebuilt unit from Darrin and it had a Marauder TC from dirtyd0g, but beyond that I'm completely in the dark.

Any suggestions/ideas on the best course of action from here?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just spoke with the shop where I dropped it off. Looking at $2300 for a rebuild with parts and labor. Hrm.

·
Super Moderator
12,674 Posts
Man, Darrin, Alan, or Robert could build and ship you one for less than that.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, Darrin, Alan, or Robert could build and ship you one for less than that.
And with labor on top of that, would I be coming out ahead?

Also related, they said the rebuild included a new TC. I asked if I'd be able to re-use my old TC (a dirtyd0g Marauder unit) and save on it (I'm assuming they'd replace my current TC with a stocker, which would be bad), they told me they'd have to rebuild it anyway, so I could keep it but it'd work out to the same price.

To be honest, I know very little about the whole subject, so I dunno if I'm being taken for a ride or not.

·
Super Moderator
12,674 Posts
Yea, that bad.

Give Alan, Darrin and Robert a shout for some more realistic pricing.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I had a 4r70w built for a previous tbird I had by a performance shop where I lived for 1700 a couple of years ago

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I can work with you to help out. Get ahold of me on the transmission and get with Alan to see what he can do for you on the converter.

Darrin

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everything guys.

Darrin - I'll give you a call a little bit later today if that's alright?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Pump is probably Toast in your old core so keep that in mind too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts