TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home I flashed my high beams at some *** clown and now my headlights and high beams dont work at all

Weird part is the cornering lights still work but nothing else but the parking lights

I did a search and it seems like the recommendation is the headlight switch....

I opened up the Chiltons manual and it shows how to remove the multi function switch it looks easy but I couldnt find the screws (it also was pitch black dark outside)

If the headlight switch is defective would the cornering lights still work ?

The fog lights dont ...

I'm headed to autobone first thing in the AM to at least try a new switch

We'll see but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
you gotta pull the cover off the steering column theres 4 screws on the underside and the cover comes off in 2 pieces top and bottom. there is 2 screws holding the multifunction switch. headlight switch you gotta pull the dash surround around the gauges to get to the switch i cant remember how it comes out right now but im sure youll figure it out once you get that surround off.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help once I finish my linguini with clam sauce (yep its 1230 am)
I'll go to bed so I can tackle this project at 8 am (after I walk and feed the dogs)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the headlight switch in didnt make a difference .... I got the multifunction switch out looks like one of the clips that clip into it has a melting issue

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok I gave up.... cleaned all the contacts, checked all the fuses and also checked out the fuses under the hood

When you pull out the switch the warning chime goes off but only parking lights in both positions :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
those switches are notorious for that, it should be a larger gauge wire that has the melting issue. crimp the electrical connection on that wire to make it grip the prong on the switch better since the plastic which should hold it is melted, and get a new switch, had the same thing happen to mine and this fixed it. BTW, you don't have higher output headlights in do you? That is what actually caused my meltdown, my xenon blue bulbs were too high wattage for the factory wiring to handle. If so, they make a relay setup to fix this problem, it's like $20 which is better than replacing switches every six months. I had to replace my swich twice before I figured this out.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My headlight switch and MFS went out within a month of eachother... Talk about a pain in the ***... It sucks having to hold down the FPS when you have to drive at night. Luckily, my brights aren't all that bright so I never had anyone flash at me.

~Chuck

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Yep, my MFS went out on me in my old 93. Didn't have headlights, had high beams, no turn signals...seemed it somehow blew all 4 corner bulbs...cuz all 4 bulbs were burnt out. It's easy to change out. If I remember right, you're going to need a small tamper-proof torx bit.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive got no headlights or high beams but the turn signals work and I only have lights if I hold the MFS in the flash to pass position

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
replace the mfs

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Might want to put in some relays. That'll prevent that from happening again. Possibly make the lights brighter, depending on how much resistance you had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts