TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 cougar 4.6 I am thinking of cutting the mufflers off and keeping the rest of the exaust the same because of emishion tests how would it sound is there any sound clips of this
Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Well, here is a clip of my 95 4.6 w/ the resonator taken out and straight pipe in it's place and the mufflers cut off and straight pipe there as well. Sounds better than stock, but to raspy in the high revs. This was taken w/ a digital camera so the quality isn't the best, but it may give you an idea. I drop it into gear towards the end as you can tell by the idle drop.

I will be getting full exhast done eventually.

Jay

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v92/FordMan77/?action=view&current=t-birdrev.flv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
fenny1 said:
I have a 1997 cougar 4.6 I am thinking of cutting the mufflers off and keeping the rest of the exaust the same because of emishion tests how would it sound is there any sound clips of this
Thank you

Dont advise it, itll sound like poop. Straight pipes=redneck and ghetto at the same time.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts
i dunno for it being cheap and easy i AM a fan of Fordman77's exhaust. nice and simple and better than stock.IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,192 Posts
why dont you put a dynomax bullet in place of the resonator. they only cost $30 at summit.

strait pipes sound like poo!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts
or a glasspack, they are even cheaper lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
buy good mufflers of your choice, do not make the same mistake that i did...cutting them off.sounds like crap and you lose some bottom end.i grabbed some dynomax turbo's not the best i know,but they have a nice sound and they aren't too expensive you will regret the chop job. i did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
Eh dont do it... its cheap yes, but invest in some sort of muffler. Magnaflow is a great sound. True duels will make it sound even better. Worth the time and money.

No mufflers sound like sh*t after 2k RPM... all I gotta say is Got Rice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Stryker said:
buy good mufflers of your choice, do not make the same mistake that i did...cutting them off.sounds like crap and you lose some bottom end.i grabbed some dynomax turbo's not the best i know,but they have a nice sound and they aren't too expensive you will regret the chop job. i did.
I've been wanting to hear something like that for a long time. So, something is better than nothing? I'm glad I haven't cut my mufflers off, yet. Would just some glasspacks instead sound 'OK'?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the help I priced a dyno max cat back system today $500.00 is this system any good
thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
It would be cheaper to buy 2 mufflers and have them welded on and get rid of all the garbage underneath like the 3rd acat and resonator. The best single thing I did to my car was the exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Where can you buy off road pipes / test pipes? I have 2 dodge stealths. The twin turbo one has custom true duals with no mufflers/no cats. But for OTHER one, online at a place called... maximalperformance.com, I believe, I bought a 'test pipe' for it. It came with, the pipe (duh), new bolts/washers and gaskets for $40. It was meant to replace the catalytic converter. It was a perfect fit, and gave the car a nice deeper sound. I already had a flowmaster muffler on this one. It was NA, btw. So, is there anywhere that someone makes something like that? Or am I going to have to fabricate something myself? Something to replace both the 3rd cat AND resonator. Then, I'll put some decent mufflers on and that should sound alright. I'm not worried about a high dollar exhaust because I don't have anything 'high dollar' done to the motor. It's bone stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
IcemanV8 said:
I've been wanting to hear something like that for a long time. So, something is better than nothing? I'm glad I haven't cut my mufflers off, yet. Would just some glasspacks instead sound 'OK'?
i tried glasspacks but they were only cheap ones and they don't last very long it's up to you to decide. when i get on the throttle,which is everyday it's loud enuf...
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top