TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard cars before with the mufflers removed just running cats, and they sounded much like a Flomaster system. I was thinking of running a similar system running all three cats on my '97, going into a 3" single system similar to Frankencougies. I was woundering about the sound level, though, and the possible heat concerns on the plastic spare tire tub.:2huh:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had that setup with no mufflers before I had my flowmasters put on.
The flowmasters are much much better.
Having no mufflers has an ok rumble at idle and maybe up until 2000-2500 rpm, but once it gets above that it just sounds ricey. And it drones really bad.
If you can afford to shell out some cash and want a decent sound, put some good mufflers on it. Try to get rid of the 3rd cat also.

-Jason

·
8,239 Posts
nah they sound terrible with no mufflers. Just redo the exhaust one time and do the entire exhaust and do it right. Mid mounted mufflers sound real agressive on these cars.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The only way it will sound remotely good if you remove your stock mufflers without replacing them is if you have a resonator. In other words, don't do it on a 96/97.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like that. But I need some hard facts on the third cat. Here in Arizona we have a California type emmisions set up.I don't remember they looking underneith last time, but it does have to pass the OBD II plugin test.:mad:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I live in Ny and they are just as tough on emissions here as they are in CA, I have complete custom exhaust, high flow cats, dual pipes, headers, magnaflows, and i pass, you shouldnt have a problem in CA, from what i learned in my Auto Tech Class on emissions, its the same here as it is in CA, just as harsh, unless they changed it

·
8,239 Posts
TbirdSims said:
I live in Ny and they are just as tough on emissions here as they are in CA, I have complete custom exhaust, high flow cats, dual pipes, headers, magnaflows, and i pass, you shouldnt have a problem in CA, from what i learned in my Auto Tech Class on emissions, its the same here as it is in CA, just as harsh, unless they changed it
Upstate we just have obd2 scans for 96+ cars and visual inspections.

Any cats present, you pass. No mil light for 96+ cars, you pass.

·
Registered
166 Posts
4.6L sounds awesome with no mufflers. And it's affordable. I didn't really hear too much of a difference between a Flowmaster setup and mine...

Just my pennies.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I like my "no 3rd cat, no muffler w/ tips" sound. Doesnt drone. Make sure the tips extend just with the end of the bumper. I can post pics of my install if interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts