TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not checking the oil for 3 months(I know shame) and having a small oil leak is a bad thing. I was low on coolant today and I went and checked all my fluids and well my oil dipstick was DRY. I have had an uncontrolable motor shake which I thought was due to a bad mount but after new 5w-30 and new filter it didn't shake at all!! I think If I hadnt checked it I would have a nice paper weight, how ever would of given me the chance to finally do a 5.0 swap; ) ....someday. Tomorrow I am doing tranny fluid/filter but Im going with mercon 5 not 3.

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
Wow....sounds like you need to keep better check on the fluids in the Cat.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yeah well I had a little issue finding the dipstick, it was hidden in my speaker for my alarm lol(I am ashamed to admit it). I never see a coolant leak but it disapears after about 2 months and its not into my oil or trans fluid. where does it go? your guess is better then mine. Today I am doing trans fluid and filter, should I do the fluid in the tq converter as well? I am going with mercon V to help out a little bit.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
might be your heater core leaking look on the passenger floorboard. Yea do the convertor also; if not at least put some additive about 7ounces should do for that left over mercon 3. Lubeguard shudder fix, they sell it at any autoparts store.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what a heater core leak is , I had one in my 94 explorer I changed it myself, But im 99% sure its not that cause there is no scent of radiator fluid or smoke from the vents. and no leak on the inside or any puddles on the ground.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My guess would be that the headgaskets are gone. Probably the most common problem on the 3.8 MN12's. You should have it checked out.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
on my 91 3.8 it just barely leaked from the water pump gasket. had to refill a gallon or so about once every month. only reason i found it was because the snow was melted at just the front of the motor.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the headgaskets did go and my friend who had the car before me put in sealant which stopped it from leaking, the reason I rule out Head Gaskets is because then my oil would be discolored and really nasty(which it wasnt) and also I would be getting really hot which the car doesnt at all , it usually runs on the cool side.

Upon further inspection I noticed the lower radiator hose is nice and swollen on the motor side so it might have a really really slow leak there. I plan to change that in the coming week or 2 after that all my fluids will be new=) lol. I did trans fluid and tq converter drain new fileter and replace with mercon 5. The rear diff looks like I just changed the fluid still nice and clean like it came out of the bottle lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts