TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everybody, my '96 lx 4.6l needs your help...as do i. This all started about 3 months ago. It has the factory alarm system and about 3 months ago, it started acting up. I would just randomly start going off for no reason. If the doors were locked w/ the remote, it became inevitable that the alarm would soon sound. The only way to keep it from coming on was to lock the doors manually or to lock the doors and disconnect the battery cable. So for about 3 weeks i left the battery unhooked and just went out once or twice a week, hooked it up and drove it a few miles to keep it running. I didnt want to take it to ford to have them look at it cuz i knew i would probably come out of it poor. So i decided to be a hero and try and fix it myself...at this point all i wanted to do was completely disconnect the factory alarm and do away w/ the problem all together. This was before i joined TCCoA so i couldnt ask for advice then. I found online that supposedly the alarm disarm wire was purple/green and was under the driver side kick panel. So, i went to work...the first purple/green wire i saw, i cut. That didnt fix it (of course i had the battery disconnected before i started cutting wires). So in my stubborn and impatient ways, i just started cutting every purple/green wire i saw, hooking the battery up and testing the alarm after each wire i cut. Each wire i eliminated from being the problem, i spliced back together. Finally, i cut another wire and then before testing the alarm, checked a few other things (switches, connections, and just lookin at other things. Then went in to eat dinner. Came back out, hooked the batter up and .......NOTHING. There was zero power to the car. No lights, wouldnt crank...nothin. As i begin to panic, i spliced the wire back together, hooked the battery up again...and still absolutely nothin. I went back through everything i had messed w/ and reconnected every connection, spliced every wire...everything. I got a dead car. My brother, dad, and a few of my buddies have looked at everything and checked everything they know to check and nobody has any idea what it could be. So it has been sitting for about 2 months now because i just keep putting it off for some reason. But its time i get it solved.
Could i have fried the computer????
Any help whatsoever would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Chad

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good day,

WOW!! How many wires did you end up cutting?? How did you splice these back together? I would look at the splices first... I had a 98 SHO that had a green wire corrode from the inside out... it was stuck up under the DS fender... the copper turned to green dust when I touched it... It went to the main fuse block and provided power to some module (my memory is going with age)... Not having any power in the car at all leads me to believe you cut a main "power-on" relay wire... I will research the wiring diagrams when I get home to see what purple/green wires could kill all power...

Oh, btw... the easiest way to kill the alarm is to unhook the module in the trunk... DS rear quarter panel, under the trim... No remote keyless entry, but no alarm either (*if it was a factory alarm*)...

Cheers!!

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
check the connections on the battery, check the master fuse under the slip box to the left of the power distribution block in the engine bay behind the battery. Just for starters. Than check all the fuses in the power distribution center, than check all of the fuses under the drivers side kick panel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the computer is fused so if anything a fuse is blown...let me guess, you have not taken a look at any of the fuses under the steering column nor in the power distribution box under the hood, correct?

wrong. i checked every fuse in the power distribution box and under the steering column. checked all those the night all this happened (almost 2 months ago).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check the connections on the battery, check the master fuse under the slip box to the left of the power distribution block in the engine bay behind the battery. Just for starters. Than check all the fuses in the power distribution center, than check all of the fuses under the drivers side kick panel.
ive checked all the fuses. do you think it could be the battery cables themselves?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good day,

WOW!! How many wires did you end up cutting?? How did you splice these back together? I would look at the splices first... I had a 98 SHO that had a green wire corrode from the inside out... it was stuck up under the DS fender... the copper turned to green dust when I touched it... It went to the main fuse block and provided power to some module (my memory is going with age)... Not having any power in the car at all leads me to believe you cut a main "power-on" relay wire... I will research the wiring diagrams when I get home to see what purple/green wires could kill all power...

Oh, btw... the easiest way to kill the alarm is to unhook the module in the trunk... DS rear quarter panel, under the trim... No remote keyless entry, but no alarm either (*if it was a factory alarm*)...

Cheers!!

All i had to do was unhook the module???????? Greeeeeeeeeeat.:( Sure wish i knew about when all this happened...then NONE of this woulda happened.

As far as how many wires i cut, i would say 6, as i recall. One of the wires i cut was directly connected to the start interrupt relay, and i actually replaced that relay thinking that may have been the problem...but it wasnt.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crap, i dont even know why i asked about the battery cables. i checked the battery way back when and it was puttin out 12.7 volts....so, not it.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
look at the side of the power distribution block on the left.... you'll see two wires about an inch apart from each other, slide the black plasic part on it up and check that fuse, thats the master fuse.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay, just checked the master fuse....its fine. and just to double check, i pulled the master fuse off of my '97 and put it on my '96 and still nothing happened.

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well that helps w/ the alarm problem. unfortunately thats the least of my worries right now. i need to get the car runnin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts