TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already changed coil packs and crank sensor but still no spark.It cranks over but it won't start.I put the fuel pressure gauge on it and it's little over 40 psi ,so it has fuel .I have also pulled one spark plug wire and try to crank it over to see if there is any spark but there isn't any.I'm gonna recheck all the grounds today,could a missing ground have something to do with no spark.Anyone have any idea what else could cause no spark.

Derek

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Is the cam sensor plugged in? Also, make sure the EEC harness is tightly plugged in.

Pete

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cam sensor is plugged in.Doesn't the crank sensor work with spark and cam sensor work with fuel.I have another cam sensor laying around so I'll replace that.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Try testing the wires from the EEC connector to the crank sensor. Could be a bad connection or a short possibly...

I am not sure if the ignition system has its own fuse, but it may also be worth checking to see if the coil packs are getting signal from the EEC or if the EEC is even receiving power at all.

Pete

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Are you using the DOHC crank sensor or the Tbird one. It's possible the Tibrd one wil not have the propper clearances to operate with a DOHC timing wheel

·
Registered
476 Posts
The DOHC sensor will work with the SOHC. My sensor went bad so i swapped in my SOHC wiht no problems. THe only bad part is you have to pull the ac compressor. Are you sure the coil packs are good? I would put money on a fuse is broken.

Will

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've swaped the coil packs of my 94 lx,my 94lx was running fine so I don't think the coils are bad.I've got one more question what do you guys do with the extra wire for alternator because dohc alternator doesn't have that plug.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
That wire is the stator to regulator voltage sense lead which on the alternator you have isn’t used (it is internally wired.)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
So, what was the fix?

Pete

·
Registered
315 Posts
yes i would love to know what the fix what because that sounds exactly like the problem i had with my swap....for the record my car has the SOHC back in it because we couldnt get the DOHC running as it was doing the exact same thing

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the delay ,I forgot about this tread.Ok here is the long:eek: story how me and Mike got it running.

Mike came over to my house on Friday and We started checking what's wrong with the car.First we put the fuel pressure gauge on it.I crank it over Mike's saying that gauge is showing over 40 psi,so it has fuel in fuel rails.We also pulled the spark plug right away and it was soaked in fuel, so injectors are working and spraying fuel into combustion chamber .Than we pulled the spark plug wire and a spark plug,We put it on the top of the engine turn the lights off in the garage and crank the car over.Bad news:mad: no spark at all.We swapped the coil packs of my 94 lx and still no spark:( than it's time to change the crank sensor.What a PITA to take the ac compressor of because super coupe has larger and different shaped sway bar than mark VIII.We finally got if of with little help of sawzall:D changed the crank sensor and it still nothing:mad: It got pretty late and that was enough for Friday.I've worked on the car for few hours on Saturday by myself .I've checked all the wiring for any rips or cracks,cleaned and retighten all the ground connections,replaced the cam sensor .Car didn't fu... start again:mad: :mad: .Mike came over on Sunday and brought OBDII code reader,so we hooked it up and no codes at all than we decided to crank the car over few times with the scanner hooked up to see if any codes will pop out.Mike turns the key over car cranks over twice and it fu.. fires right up We both go like WTF is going on:2huh: it's running. We shut it down after few seconds and crank it again starts right up .Unhooked the scanner and went to have a cold one:zbeer:.We came back after few minutes and tried to get a short video of the car running,Mike hops in the car ,turns the key,car turns over for few times but nothing than we're like WTF is wrong with this car,we cranked it over few more times but the car didn't fired up:mad:Hooked up the scanner again and car fires right up :confused: :confused:That little crap got us confused for a little bit after few minutes of talking we figured that it has to be something wrong with the wiring most likely ground connection .Scanner plug is a male plug so it has bunch of little pins on it but 2 of them are little longer so we kind of thought that they have to be ground pins. We took a piece of wire , grounded it to the body and hooked it up to the first ground whole on the female plug.Crank the car over but it didn't start ,hooked to up to the second ground hole and car fires right up:D . Looks like the EEC system wasn't getting ground connection .End of story :tongue:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Glad you got it running.You are going to need that Alternator wire pluged in though.Your car won't run for too long if that is unplugged.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just did a swap in my 95 Bird and I'm having the same problem!!!? I changed out the crank and the cam sensors and the coil packs where working fine on the other motor before the swap and They aren't that old to begin with. Haven't tried the ground thing yet going to check it right know but If anyone can come up with any other suggestions on what it might be feeol free to let me know please!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts