TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my 2 amplifiers started cutting out and voltage dipping so I figured I had a short in the remote wire or the power cable going to the trunk. I was sent home early from work so I figured I'd try to figure out a solution before I go to my other job delivering pizzas. After ruling out the remote wire my day went from bad to worse. First my new tube of solder rolled into the engine bay and wound up somewhere below the driver's side headlight where I cannot reach no matter how much I tried.

Other than reaching around the header panel all I did was remove the fuse for the power cable to the trunk. I decided to go to the store and buy some more solder but lo and behold the car wouldn't start. Nothing happens when I turn the key aside from the voltage dropping as the starter receives power. This is a brand new starter so I'm not sure how this could be happening. I checked and rechecked every fuse and the Crank Position Sensor pigtail that likes to slide off but nothing was amiss.

I did try using another vehicle to jump start the car but the starter won't turn. Maybe later I'll smack the starter with a hammer while someone turns the key but I don't see why a new starter would behave that way. I even had trouble trying to upload this pic that'll give some of an idea of what I was working on.

I may have to forget about going to work tonight but if I don't figure out something tonight I'll be forced to have a shop take a look at it. I cannot afford to lose hours or worse quit my 2nd job. It's quite amazing how bad my luck truly is. I'd be ever grateful if someone has any idea what I could have done that made the car no longer start. I did clean all the connections but that didn't make a change.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Just try hitting te starter with a rubber mallet and try to start it again. I work in auto parts so newer parts going bad isn't such an odd thing. It happens. Also try to disconnect and reconnect the battery. That has fixed a few issues for me in the past.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for positive ideas. I just tried smacking it with a rubber mallet while someone turned the key and nothing happened. I probably didn't try hard enough but I will try again after the sun goes down. Then it'll be easier to see things with a drop light. I'll also try shorting the starter like I should have already done. I can live with replacing the starter again. I just can't afford to have the car towed to a shop AND pay rent late again.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Check the trigger wire (for voltage and a good connection).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the trigger wire (for voltage and a good connection).
:znanner:Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!:znanner:

:bowdown:

Shorted the starter with the key in Run and she cranked right up. Now I have a reason to go ahead and add a push button or 2 and run new 18 gauge wire. I'm still curious if this was all a coincidence or if I really did bump into it while trying to recover the tube of solder that is still inside my header panel. Well, that won't be an issue with the new wire and how I plan to route it. Before too long there won't be any original wires left. :rofl:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was having a similar issue - I had a screw roll (fall) down inside the shifter area - and it gave me "random" no starts. I figured when it did this I was always able to start it in neutral without any issues.

Annoyed me to all heck when I found that screw near the mechanism, but, glad I hadn't dug into it to far (or spend to much money)

I would also check to see if it cranks in neutral.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
The harness connection for the starter is right next to the fuse box .. underneath that thing you have on there some kind of huge fuse mounting pad. No apparent reason, other than messing with the wiring in this area. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The harness connection for the starter is right next to the fuse box .. underneath that thing you have on there some kind of huge fuse mounting pad. No apparent reason, other than messing with the wiring in this area. :tongue:
Lol, I'd agree with you but I didn't touch anything under or near the sheet metal I used to support that fuse. Well, not until after the car wouldn't start and then I started checking everything including the megafuse which would not have mattered as far as starting goes. Other than removing the fuse for the amps I didn't touch anything other than everything around the headlights when trying to retrieve that cursed solder. Maybe after looking at it again tomorrow I'll agree with you more. :gapteeth:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Foolish me for thinking that someone would have a push button switch that would actually say "Push to Start" in this 1 horse town. It took me about an hour driving around town to find one that I actually liked enough and small enough to use in the space where I had planned. I didn't want this to take any longer than it should so I did the install a little sloppy but I'll redo it when I have time to really take the car apart. It wasn't until after I was finished that I bothered to see where the break was.

·
Super Moderator
10,569 Posts
Foolish me for thinking that someone would have a push button switch that would actually say "Push to Start" ...
My button says "Launch". :)

It's been 'repurposed'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts