TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guy's i got a little problem and want to get your opinions. In October I parked my car due to a ticking noise. Well I took off the valve covers and wasnt a lifter problem, Took off the timing cover and bam found out the problem was the cam gear had come loose and was banging back and forth. Put everything back together last night and jumped it and it started up. Then I shut it off cause the valve cover was leaking. so I retightened the bolts and went to start it again and nothing it would just crank and didn't start even when it was being jumped from my dad's 91 cougar. What do you guy's thing the deal is why it won't start again??

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
well it is possible that something else went out at the worst of timing lol. Can you hear the fuel pump? Do you have spark? Did you plug the crank and or cam sensors back in all the way? put you hand over the exhaust and feel for steady pulses why you have someone crank the motor? Just a few ideas?

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
Took off the timing cover and bam found out the problem was the cam gear had come loose and was banging back and forth.
Did you remove the timing cover and check the timing? Do you have spark? Compression? Fuel pressure?

The woodruff ley that holds the cam in place may have failed with all the stress of the cam sprocket coming loose. The 4.6 is not a freewheeler so when the crank turns and the cams don't the Piston's slam into the unexpecting valves and that is never a good thing.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
Did you remove the timing cover and check the timing? Do you have spark? Compression? Fuel pressure?

The woodruff ley that holds the cam in place may have failed with all the stress of the cam sprocket coming loose. The 4.6 is not a freewheeler so when the crank turns and the cams don't the Piston's slam into the unexpecting valves and that is never a good thing.

-Scott
If that would have happened wouldn't I be able to hear the piston's hitting the valves? When it did start the first time everything sounded perfectly fine, except for the valve cover leak and all the smoke in the garage. I'm gonna check the fuel pressure today after work. I'm also gonna take the valve cover off and check to see if the gear is damaged again. (since I need a new gasket anyway) Also the timing chain and that stuff didn't jump at all.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the driver side gear was loose.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
sounds like the cams bolt hole is stripped. The cam probally needs to be replaced

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
just a thought your crank position sensor could be loose, or your cam position sensor, I think both will cause absolutely no crank, although you very well may have a stripped out bolt too, I'm not there to see it I can't be sure, check those wires, sounds like the culprit to me because you took off the timing cover. Very possible either of those wires are frayed or dry rotten or broken as well..... didn't someone recently have this problem?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
check the wires leading to your crank sensor, mine were loose and caused a no starting effect

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I pulled the valve cover off last night and took the bolt out of the cam and put some locktite on it and it threaded in fine. I will check the wires leading to those sensors tonight. Thank's guy's

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok well I checked everything that was mentioned and everything looked fine but still no start. Fuel pump worked cause I heard it click on as the battery was dieing. I looked at the coil pack on the driver side and it didn't look like it was on all the way, I pushed it on and put some tape around it cause it kept pushing itself off. Then I noticed the injector for #8 cylinder was unplugged?!?!?!? When to start it BAM started right up! Is there anywhere I can buy I new plug for that coil pack?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.