TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a 1996 thunderbird 4.6l and im having a problem where my car wont start.. cranks but nothing. new alt new battery new fuel pump...so pretty sure thats not the problem. i was just driving it today.

this happened after i tried to scan and check codes because ive done the pi intake manifold swap. had two codes. purge valve and dpfe sensor.
was trying to clear then it said erase failure. i keyed off tried again and welll....

Now my scanner wont read codes. it says link error.
also ive noticed that when i put the key in on position the fan comes on and stays on and the CE light doesnt come on. which it should when you key on..

Fuses are good ive checked them.

Should i go to the junkyard and swap out the eec with another 96'?

what do you guys think

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
When I had the same exact symptoms it was two wires that are in a woven heat shield that are probably burnt and touching. I think they are power for the HO2, however since all insulation on mine was burned off, I couldn't tell. I used shrink insulation on mine after cutting and soldering them back together.

I will try to go get a picture of it later, but if you grab the main harness that runs along the back, and move it around, wait for the fan to stop and some clicking, then it should start.

BUT DON'T DRIVE IT if that works, it will stop on you at some point, you still need to fix it!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I thought it was the group of wires off the main harness near passenger side, near the heater hose nipple. The one that goes off the back and down, not the ones off the front that go to the DPFE.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm when i wiggle the DPFE wires(not the main harness wires) the fan turns off and i hear everything come on. (fuel pump, relays) . DPFE wires have a short im guessing. not too big on electrical ha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car starts now btw. but it dies out now due to hitting a bump and moving the short. (took it for a quick drive). looks like a Light green and black wire going into the DPFE thats causing it. Well.. at least i know where the problem is :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts