TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 xr7 4.6 w 53k actual miles I recently saved from an elderly yard. 160$ yup. Stole her. Ran great after new fuel pump assy. Love this powerful tire schmokn coug. Then after 2k miles of fun.. bam.ugh... turn the key no solenoid engagement . Searched everywhere as it's common problem. Checked all. Including shifter switch. No fix postings. Must be ecm issue.
  1. So I Bypassed it all.
. # Fix hack. #Run wire to s"pole on solenoid. 4$ "temporary bump on" toggle switch from AutoZone . Other pole of switch to hot positive. Even cigar lighter circuit wire is ok. 10 amps ok.
Turn on key. Bump toggle. Vroom.works great.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Huh. Suppose that "These ignition switches keep failing" isn't kind of a hint?

Especially since, if you don't have the anti theft, there's no real electronic involvement in the starter circuit? Just a neutral safety switch and the ignition switch?

RwP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update... after 1 week using the toggle switch to activate the starter solenoid and starter (with key in on position) the Cougar has decided to begin starting with the key again. Each time (probably 5x per day) I started w toggle I always tried the key first before using the toggle as both are still wired to the starter solenoid. note the key in start position when the cougar will NOT start with key oddly activated the AC electric radiator cooling fan even on cold start. I will leave the toggle and wiring in place for a redundant starter switch. And yes.... BEFORE toggle install .. I tested the following before installing the toggle.. Key switch tested ok. sent voltage into system. however it would get a no voltage before or after transmission shift switch. so... its between the Transmission and the starter switch..and may still happen again.. however when it does I will not be stuck towing the car. .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh. Suppose that "These ignition switches keep failing" isn't kind of a hint?

Especially since, if you don't have the anti theft, there's no real electronic involvement in the starter circuit? Just a neutral safety switch and the ignition switch?

RwP
Would be productive to address a root cause of this issue because I have seen many posts but never a posted fix.
Because the electric radiator cooling fan is activated during the no start condition..maybe there is a thermal safety switch preventing start up during an overheat sensor condition. (mine runs in the lower 3/8 of the guage even running AC in traffic) but if a sensor exists that likely triggered the no start.. will search and update..

·
Super Moderator
10,375 Posts
The fan coming on is a separate problem; it's usually the EEC going bad.

There's literally nothing in there other than the ignition switch and the starter solenoid that's involved in turning the car over.

A bad eec will cause all manner of no-start problems, but the starter operation isn't one of them.

The wire can be bad, as well as the contacts in any one of the connectors.

I also think it would be productive for you to find out why your car doesn't start and post it up for the next guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will attempt n post a deeper diagnosis upon further no start conditions.. so far im driving daily and shes back to normal..but for the record... this is what I know about the problem.. 1. Turn key to start position and no starter engagement or click. Only Volt guages drop and AC Radiator cooling fan turning on regardless of sitting overnight etc. 2. No voltage present before or after Transmission safety position switch. 3.. Voltage present and sent from ignition switch in start position. 4. in Key "on' position the "momentary on" toggle wired to solenoid S' pole and +Voltage will start car without issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts