TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a 91 Iroc Z camaro w/ a new engine in it(305) but the car was his dad's and he(the dad) bought the car from a guy with a bill of sale(lost title) and didnt think twice about it...he was never going to drive it on the road(race car) well he got hurt and hasnt touched the car. He gave it to his son(my friend) and its sat in his garage since then. He said i could have it(since I need a car bad) but he dosent have a title, but could write up a bill of sale. How do i go about getting a title on this car so i can have a car to drive?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
do a search on the Vin#to try to find out the previous owner or do a swap with another camaro

In NY they dont want to even look at a bill of sale you need the Title or you cant register the car here

Also here if the car isnt registered in a certain # of years DMV also gives you a problem

Sorry for being so general but my DMV skills arent good today

Technically he cant really give you the car or transfer ownership since it wasnt his to begin with since the title was never transferred to the dad or your friend

The only way to register to it is to hunt down the last registered owner and
1) hope its not stolen
2) hope its not a salvage title because if it is you have to get it inspected to make sure its all legitimate

Hope that helps

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
You might try looking up the web sites for your state's DMV or DOL, whichever governs vehicles sales/licensing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check with your Bureau of Motor Vehicles in your state. Quite often you can file an affidavit of ownership if the vehicle is below a certain value. You will probably need a police check to make sure the vehicle returns not stolen. But each state is different so give them a call.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts