TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 75% of the time when i start my car in the morning and sometimes after work, the engine makes this sound. I dont want to say its a rod knock or something like that. It goes away as soon as it starts to build oil pressure. It doesnt do it every time. It has to sit for atleast 8 hours for it to do it. It has good oil pressure and it doesnt make any other noise. any ideas. I am think maybe something to do with the oil pump? I am not to familiar with the 4.6

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have a slight noise on startup as well with my PI motor. Like yours, it only happens with cold, and only lasts a minute or two. After listening to mine closely, it seems to sound like piston "chatter". It does not sound like knocking/pinging/detonation. However, my motor also ticks at all times, seems to come from rear of passenger side head. Think that noise is a hydraulic lifter clogged/dirty, but seafoam hasnt done anything to help it.

Anybody had any experiences with these noises? My engine runs well, idles fairly smooth and pulls hard, but the noises concearn me. I just hope this motor lasts until I have time to pull motor, have it Big bored and supercharged ;)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Mine would do that at startup when I didn't use a Motorcraft oil filter. I was told that they have a anti-drainback valve. I have been using nothing but Motorcraft filters ever since, and have had no noise for the past 65k. Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
that and try switching to a 5w oil... the lower viscosity on startup means oil gets in there faster...

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
Next time you do an oil change, cut open your oil filter. My engine was making a nice little rattle for the first few seconds on startup right before it spun the #8 rod bearing.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
most common problem on a 4.6 is the a filter that dont have the anti drain back valve, if not sure use a motorcraft, also if the lifters have alot of miles on them they will clatter first few seconds cause they lose there prim over night if they have a some miles on them

Robert

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Rod!!! Dont Scare The Poor Fella!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
other than start up it doesnt make any noise. and it doesnt do it every time. Also it doesnt sound like a rod knock. i am hoping it is not a rod knock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts